The map library

Yeah, Johnny Cash did it better.

5 Likes

In local cartography:

Our house is just outside the boundary of this map…
So Close Nbc 90Th Special GIF by NBC

7 Likes

Those are lovely! I used to live right down the street from where her studio is now. Next time I go back to visit I hope to check it out.
Seems like the prints and the stickers would make really thoughtful gifts. Thanks for sharing.

7 Likes

This is a social thing, about the writer’s experience of using maps to create connections.

(gift link )

By Adina Glickstein

[…] The practical matters of adjusting to a new city bedeviled me. After work I longed to navigate the city with purpose but had nowhere in particular to go. […]

So I emailed a writer I looked up to who lived in Berlin in her 20s. […] she replied immediately with a series of Google Maps links […]

I had used Google Maps mainly for subway directions. I opened the app every day, but its social function never occurred to me. Sure, I had saved spots here and there, and maintained a “want to try” list, where the names of trendy restaurants piled up never to be consulted again. The real fun, I learned, begins when you start to use Google Maps in multiplayer mode: building shared lists of saved locations with and for others, remotely populating their digital landscape with little pins. It’s a simple action that conjures an increasingly rare sense of virtual care.

Populating a shareable map is an exercise in memory. I started making shared maps as a way of staying in touch with faraway friends and as a key to my own psycho-geography, doled out to give dear ones a glimpse into my world. I’ve printed out QR codes with links to shared maps and given them as birthday and wedding presents. When my German bestie told me she was planning a trip to New York, I remembered my own sense of overwhelm upon walking through Manhattan after moving there at 18 — as if the city were threatening to swallow me whole. I made her a Google Map in hopes of making the vastness more manageable. I nudged her to my favorite haunts; hearing her report back, I felt as if my past were intertwined with her present.

9 Likes

17 Likes

Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

14 Likes
9 Likes

And,

8 Likes

That’s the old treasure map that turns out to be real after all.

7 Likes

At first glance I wondered what the heck rivers had to do with the eclipse. Unusual concept instead: shortest route to the eclipse path from everywhere in the US.

Though I’ll be cutting across these routes tomorrow to my desired destination!

8 Likes

I think half of Chicagoland is here in Indianapolis tonight

8 Likes

Amtrak expansion plannibg

11 Likes

Ooh, that’s exciting! The map isn’t working on my tablet, but I can’t wait to check it out when I’m back at the computer.
Let the daydreaming commence!

7 Likes

The NOAA has this nifty/scary interactive map where you can change the levels of the Great Lakes (and Lake St. Clair) to see the potential impact on shorelines.

6 Likes
9 Likes

Poor Washington, too!

Seth Meyers Crying GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

:wink:

4 Likes
7 Likes

A lost opportunity to make a very cool relief map; the best kind of maps.

US National Park Service in Skagway, showing the Klondike trail into the Yukon on the left and the later and current route on the right.

10 Likes
5 Likes

A new coworker started this week. She’s from Sarajevo and left there as a 10-year old after the siege ended. I told her I was there around the same time. And then we said no more about it since we both knew there was no need to say anything more.

Anyway, I was looking up the change in ethnic make-up before and after the war. This shows the proportional population change in each municipality.

The ground truth was really much more granular. This map does a much better job of showing the pre-war situation. But even with this in various towns there were bosniac streets and serbian streets. When the ethnic cleansing began in earnest it was neighbours rounding up neighbours.

17 Likes