The Miskatonic Papers - an experiential letterpress-printed book inspired by H.P. Lovecraft's work

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/20/the-miskatonic-papers-an-exp.html

4 Likes

If people enjoy the idea of this but want to try it out in a somewhat less complex (meaning fewer pieces) form, I highly recommend Building Stories by Chris Ware. Another box full of pieces of a story that you can read and experience in different order to see if you get anything additional out of them.

6 Likes

It’s nice to see some other people making these types of artifacts and experiences like the Mysterious Package Company. The downside of all the customized stuff is that the cost makes a lot of people balk at the purchases. They make for great gifts if you know someone will be interested in the particular experience though.

3 Likes

I’ve long thought it would be very cool to do a Lovecraftian story told as a collection of artifacts, in the way so many horror stories, like Lovecraft’s, were presented as collections of documentary evidence. But do a modern version - with documents, letters, newspaper clippings, photographs, videos, and even some artifacts (some cast items masquerading as ivory or stone, etc.).

The problem being that the more impressive - and fun - it would be to put together (i.e. more artifacts), the more expensive it would be to make. I could never see a way to do it without losing a large amount of money on each collection, much less have it be profitable.

3 Likes

This reminds me of a more expanded version of S. by Doug Dorst, it was one of those story within a story book where there was a second story written in the margins and on artifacts stuffed between the pages, and something like Hunt a Killer. Seems like a better option than Hunt a Killer though because it from what I hear about it HaK kinda ropes you into extended monthly subscriptions before giving any kind of conclusion to the mystery.

2 Likes

This would be of negative value to me, as all it would do is sit on a shelf gathering dust… unless, it arrives with the document seal already broken. In that case, I could dive right in. I just can’t bring myself to deface pristine items, even when that is the point. I’m okay with mundane packaging, but anything a bit arty, and I’m screwed.

@Shuck I guess you could do a very modern version, with digital files, including .stl files for printing out facsimile items for use in rituals.

1 Like

This would make a wicked set of props for a Call of Cthulhu campaign.

2 Likes

Andrew Leman at http://hplhs.org/ has been doing this very thing for about 20 years. And he does it very, very well.

2 Likes

The price is a little too steep for me to be able to justify buying one of these for myself, but what a gorgeous item.

1 Like

Going digital rather defeats the purpose - or rather, it becomes something else entirely. I am working on a fully-digital version of that idea, where you have an interactive interface that presents “digitized” documents and photographs, “3d-scanned” objects, audio records, and even allows you to seemingly control a drone at an archaeological site to uncover new “evidence.” At this point it’s basically a video game (in the current, expanded definition).

1 Like

You can find lots of props here : http://hplhs.org/
for that very purpose! Enjoy!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.