The most convincing argument for a Muppet version of The Lord of the Rings

It was at the start of the movie preview and made me smile.

1 Like

I mean, it’s kind of misogynistic garbage, yeah? That moms hate things that kids (mostly meaning boys) enjoy?

Not sure why they’d lead with that… :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Waldorf: Looks like we’ve got a few more adventurers heading up the creek.

Statler: If they don’t get rid of that ring soon we’ll ALL be up the creek!

[Both cackle in laughter]

31 Likes

This picture… It’s beautiful.

7 Likes

We had one of those a while back. Maybe we should open it back up.

15 Likes

The one I’ve been waiting for is the Muppets Seventh Seal (Kermit, the Knight, of course, Swedish Chef, Death).

The Muppets can make an alternate version of any ‘Great Film’ because they’re the antithesis of Serious Art Cinema, without themselves being cheap or schlocky.

3 Likes

It is inevitable that this will happen. All moneymaking copyrighted work will be eventually be consumed by the Mickeymouth, where it will be transformed over a thousand pitch meetings and writing sessions into more moneymaking copyrighted work.

I also expect, in my lifetime, a Muppets Star Wars and some Muppet Marvel movies. Throw in some Marvel/Star Wars crossovers. There is a 100% chance that there have already been pitches for a Star Wars sitcom on the Disney channel (hard working inexplicably wealthy single mom works at the cantina and tries to keep a handle on her weirdly precocious children).

Eventually there will also be a Lord of the Rings sitcom, maybe Pippin as the patriarch of a big diverse family of Hobbits, with occasional walk-on parts for other characters.

See also: The death of the soul.

2 Likes

Already on it.

sandworm

23 Likes

Robin as Bilbo

Big Bird as Thorondor

Tim Curry as Gollum

Clifford as Gandalf

Andy and Randy Pig as Merry and Pippin

Miss Piggy as Arwen
Miss Piggy as Galadriel
Miss Piggy as Eowyn

1 Like

This mom sees Muppet anything and I’m all

12 Likes

They are just getting started. Wait until they have the Lego Muppet’s version of Star Wars.

3 Likes

It would be a wickedly cruel directorial decision to add the Tom Bombadil parts back in and have Adam Driver play Bombadil as the only human character :joy:

7 Likes

If they were open to recycling characters from previous movies they have a Muppet that pretty much nails Tom Bombadil already. Slap an oversized Paddington Bear outfit on the guy and call it a day.

8 Likes

On a unrelated yet muppety note, here is Mac Davis surrounded by Beaker clones.

3 Likes

And pile on the fantasy… And mash the two up!

shut-up-and-take-my-money-o|nullxnull

Really, the whole “moms are authoritarian buzzkills” needs to die in a fucking fire.

11 Likes

Michael Caine would look silly as Paddington, what are you on?

7 Likes

Fereal! Like who do you think introduced Jr. Kidd to video games, Muppets, Star Wars, LotR, Marvel and now the hobby shop!

5 Likes

Yeah, it trades on the “dads get to play with you on weekends but don’t have to get you to do your homework” vibe.

8 Likes

I am not sold on Beaker and Honeydew as good fits for Legolas and Gimli. I think they would work so much better as craftsmen of some kind…say reforging Aragorn’s sword or explaining the various gifts Galadriel gives out. I’m not sure who to use instead.

Do you suppose it would be fair to take characters from things other than the Muppet show? Because I really like the idea of Grover, and Mr. Johnson would make a nice foil.

10 Likes

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

Same here with my daughter’s interest in anime, Star Trek, and the like…

muppet christmas carol yes GIF by Sky

9 Likes