The New York Times praises ear cleaning spoons

Originally published at: The New York Times praises ear cleaning spoons | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I still recommend this one:

I was actively cleaning my ears when I saw this Boingervtisement! However, I was using this, inexpensive and software tool. https://amzn.to/36KhU36 . Yes, clicking gives me 2¢ of your purchase.

(quoted the same spelling error even!)

1 Like

Next up on bOINGbOING:

You Should Totally Not Feel Guilty About Habitually Mining Your Nose

14 Likes

When I did an ENT rotation many years ago, I got to see cerumen scoops in action and immediately realized that they had the potential to be better than Q-tips. Since then, I have found that unbending a small paperclip and using the smaller curved end works just as well. Of course, same caveats as with any non-camera-based system—you must be careful not to damage your eardrum, but you can make your own scoops from paperclips very easily.

4 Likes

I used to use the paperclip method, then I graduated to the scoopy end of the ballpoint pin cover.

3 Likes

Oh gods for some reason that strikes me as being as terrifying as:

16 Likes

I got one of those microscopes Mark posted several years ago - and yeah - do NOT look at your skin.

2 Likes

I have done that too! So many cerumen spoons of opportunity out there!

1 Like

I too have a handcrafted bespoke paperclip for lovingly scraping my auditory canal. Heavenly.
Gone are the days of my crippling Q-tip addiction.

Those ‘spoons’ look suspiciously similar to dabbing utensils.

3 Likes

Oh, one other note, if you want to try one, they have them at the check outs of most Asian markets for very cheap.

5 Likes

When will the NYT start saying;

“Dentists strongly discourage people from scraping their teeth. But knowing better, and doing it anyway, is part of what makes us human.”

I mean, what other reason are they selling these for?

You Are Not Performing That Operation

4 Likes

Real men persons use their kukri.

(Actually, the accessory tools in the sheath sometimes include an ear spoon.)

Ear spoons seem to have been more common in the past. They are often found on 19th century horseman’s knives

or 20th century penknives

You can get a variety of replica Viking ones.

5 Likes

When you have so many gadgets they are coming out of your ears, it is time to reassess.

6 Likes

If you want an earspoon, you’ve got to go for Bohemian. Accept no substitutes.

7 Likes

Not to be picky, but if you manage to get your finger in all the way up to the wrist, you know you’ve gone to far.

I was taught to never put anything smaller than my elbow in my ear.

2 Likes

is that like a toe knife?

1 Like

I view the detritus with disgust, fascination and pride: I made that.

I can do that every day, some days multiple times even.
No scraping or spoons involved.

1 Like