The OTFB: a switchblade-inspired, machined sculpture

The pun not withstanding, it gives me joy to know that I wasn’t the only one to have the same thought.

1 Like

Didn’t want people to see all the cuts and stabs he suffered when making this cutty-stabby thingy.

3 Likes

I can’t wait to see this appear as a prop on some sci-fi show or movie, hopefully not as a knockoff. This is the kind of object that could easily end up futuristic deus ex machina, space red herring, or some sort of alien MacGuffin.

3 Likes

I have lots of things that will never be used for their intended purpose, but I have them because they fascinate me.
I was thinking in terms of the maker. I cannot see going to that much trouble and clever engineering without the object at least potentially having some practical use. I totally get making a thing that is way over engineered and fiddly. But I need to start with the idea that it is a knife, or bottle opener, or doorstop or whatever.
That is probably just me.

1 Like

2 Likes

That’s the definition of “art”- something beautiful without a practical use.

2 Likes

While a knife goes " snickersnee".

It’s made from depleted uranium.

1 Like

Who wants to try taking this through a TSA checkpoint? :smiling_imp:

safe gom jabbar handling practices

2 Likes

Fingerprints will etch raw polished aluminum.

1 Like

Oh, I dunno about that. Some lucky buyer is going to take this thing into a horror-movie convention, wander into the “Phantasm” section and pop this thing open, bellowing, “Boy! BO-O-OYYY!”

2 Likes

Could always use it to confuse the CSI techs looking for the murder weapon.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.