The over-the-top space fashions of Star Trek: TOS

14 Likes

Too soon?

No disrespect meant.

16 Likes

Shakes fist. “Space hippies!!!”

5 Likes

Not that much different then actual fashions now…
but nothing beats the over the top clown outfits that are shown on runways these day

2 Likes
10 Likes

Nobody ever talks about all the guys wearing eyeshadow :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

STtNG was, in part, responding to TOS outfits, though. That one in particular seems like a conscious attempt to grapple with the costume design legacy of TOS.

I.e.:

12 Likes

came here hoping for space hippies. so happy.

2 Likes

Yvie Oddly approves:

9 Likes

I recall reading–this was a long time ago, and I may be misremembering–an interview with the costume designer who said the goal was to make it look like the womens’ outfits could fall off at any moment (though of course they never did).

2 Likes

Especially the first couple of seasons.

15 Likes

“Eyes are up here.”

11 Likes

Suddenly I’m in the mood for a baked potato.

12 Likes

A topic like this requires mention of Fashion it So, a site devoted to breaking down the TNG fashion choices:

You can navigate by season/ep in the menu on the left.

15 Likes

yeah you’re not wrong, I thought about mentioning that. Geordi’s was permanent; we only see him without it in a few episodes. The red glasses are only used when viewing the Medusan ambassador, who is so ugly the sight of them drives humans insane. So perhaps “safety equipment” would have been more accurate than “prosthetic”, especially since Jones’s REAL prosthetic is the sensor net she wears, cleverly disguised as a beaded poncho thing. The glasses were Vulcan in design, is all I’m saying.

And of course none of this changes the fact that they are FABULOUS as is the rest of the costume design.

4 Likes

I believe they were artificial constructs based on McCoy’s memories of said dancers, who were summarily shooed away by McCoy’s crewmate Yeoman Barrows.

So the robo-go-go-showgirls were a no-go.

7 Likes

Yeah, it was glaringly obvious (e.g. the Enterprise officer in the skirt). It was also pretty clear after a couple seasons that they had largely moved on to doing their own thing. It made sense - they wanted design elements as connective tissue to help create some continuity with the original show, no matter how absurd.

3 Likes

very well could be. I Dream of Jeanie came on in 1965 and they hid her belly button the entire time.

2 Likes

It wasn’t just Star Trek, it was the 60s and early 70s.
Just look at these beautiful models from the absolutely wonderful UFO series, roughly from the same period (3 years later, actually). Male clothing also rocked back then; I’d pay big money to be in the right shape to wear one of those fantastic Nehru jackets without being laughed at by my cat.

Beware: one image might be considered mildly NSFW.
https://dangerousminds.net/comments/the_gorgeous_sci-fi_ladies_of_ufo

6 Likes

10 Likes