The over-the-top space fashions of Star Trek: TOS

6 Likes

I am pretty sure these outfits ushered me into puberty

6 Likes

I’ve always thought Shatner and Nemoy got to choose the women’s costumes out of a Frederick’s of Hollywood catalog.

2 Likes

I totally understand dissing Shatner, but Leonard Nimoy?

8 Likes

Theiss was the official designer, but it’s my understanding that Roddenberry often took a pair of scissors to the women’s outfits, revealing a lot more skin.

2 Likes

Interesting; in Roddenberry’s original pilot (“The Cage,” later edited and incorporated into “The Menagerie”) female crew members were actually portrayed in a much less sexualized way, even as a bunch of pervy aliens tried to manipulate them into hooking up.

pants

I was under the impression that it was the network executives who insisted on “sexing up” the series, meaning

• Pants were replaced with miniskirts
  • Turtlenecks were replaced with low-cut tops
  • The female crew member who served as First Officer was replaced with a female crew member who was mostly tasked with answering the phone
  • Gene Roddenberry’s lover Majel Barrett was replaced by Gene Roddenberry’s lover Nichelle Nichols
4 Likes

They look even worse from behind;

7 Likes

Is that a bouncy castle in your pants or are you just happy to see me?

8 Likes

Something got caught.

8 Likes

Well spotted!

4 Likes

From behind they look like giant buttocks that have slipped to knee level.

3 Likes

Yes, but are they comfortable?

3 Likes

Interesting. So potentially on STtNG, he was reckoning with his own, previous designs…

2 Likes

So so sorry but I just had to go for the low hanging fruit re the image in the post:

1 Like

They look like they’re giving a TED talk.

2 Likes

Lost in Space had a “space hippie” episode also:
The costume design on LIS wasn’t up to Theiss level, however.

3 Likes

Village People In Space.

3 Likes

Village People in Space

Uh, in more ways than one. If you are familiar with the episode, they are space raiders, who ride in, legs akimbo, on “space motorcycles.” Then, they spend their time on the planet rhythmically mining it using these throbbing phallic “space jackhammers”. This ecological ravishing of the planet is literally destroying it, and since it’s the planet the Robinsons are currently stuck on, conflict ensues.

1 Like

That’s really funny! I don’t recall the episode (probably saw it as a kid); I was just going by the image.

1 Like

And with those fashions came William Shatner’s inability to look at the eyes of fellow actresses