The Philly cop who brutally pepper sprayed peaceful protestors turned himself in

Yea, I just learned about these guys. It blew my mind.

1 Like

Actually, yes. There was a time when officers were expected to provide their own ammunition and other equipment, the bosses were neck deep in bribery and working conditions were crap.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Police_Strike I know, Wikipedia, but it is an acceptable précis of the situation. Dennis Lehane wrote a novel about the big strike called The Given Day that also does a pretty good job on the story.

6 Likes

It is really quite simple. Pass laws that prevent unions from getting involved in discipline and keep the collective bargaining.

1 Like

John McNesby, president of Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 5, said that protesters had created a dangerous situation by entering the highway, and that the union would defend Nicoletti as the department’s disciplinary process played out.
Police unions in the US position their members above the law. There needs to be a clear and comprehensive Code of Conduct for every police department and no limits on culpability placed on officers by union contracts. Let the accused officers have union supplied lawyers but be subject to the full force of the law.

4 Likes

Honestly, I’m surprised it hasn’t come to that yet. Not that I want that mind you.

We’ll never know until someone opens him up and tries that flesh now will we?

1 Like

Lots of people in society do not bargain collectively

Supervisors who have power over other workers do not bargain collectively

Every cop is a supervisor, every one of them supervises the rest of us

An “officer” is a person who is individually commissioned and serves at the pleasure of the commissioning authority. A union of “officers” is an oxymoron. Cop unions are a category error.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.