The Queen of England frigging loves Flash Gordon

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/18/the-queen-of-england-frigging.html

5 Likes

She’s probably just a smidge envious of Ming’s power as an absolute monarch. I like to imagine that clipped voice saying “we will now punish the ungrateful peons with some hot hail.”

12 Likes

I am just going to leave this little bit (Pre-Flash Gordon) where Brian Blessed absolutely killed it

18 Likes

One of the best sequences in a great series.

5 Likes

I admit to being partial to his King Richard IV in Blackadder:

Blood!

Death!

War!

Rumpy-pumpy!

17 Likes

QE2:“Can’t we issue a denial?”
Equerry:“No ma’am. It would only foment controversy. Remember the Streisand effect. Better to leave it be.”
DoE:“Can’t we have the fella drive into a wall, or something?”
QE2:“There’ll be none of that, Phillip, thank you.”

12 Likes

Prince Andrew; “Not the bore worms!”

3 Likes

Elizabeth and Flash, it’s traditional.

11 Likes

It’s not that surprising.

This was one of The Queen Mother’s (Queen Elizabeth, wife of George VI) favourite songs in the 90s, allegedly.

She also had a collection of 60’s ska music.

10 Likes

Okay… I’d really love to see a video of the late Queen mother skanking…

9 Likes

I’ve always avoided this series because it’s one of my favorite books, but this is pretty compelling. Just looked at the cast list and it’s pretty incredible.

1 Like

The grandkids are in their late twenties plus and not getting on according to the tabloids, so it must be some time ago.

The youngest are in their teens

8 Likes

Does everyone forget that William and Harry aren’t her only grandkids?

10 Likes

D I I I I I V E ! ! !

Yeah, you heard me.

3 Likes

I was thinking of Anne’s kids and forgot Edward

2 Likes

Fair enough… I was just thinking generally.

3 Likes

Its a must see. Classic 1970’s BBC production. Although entirely studio-bound, the cast is phenomenal, the performances are a bit campy at times. It one of my all time favorite programs.

7 Likes

Remember this story is coming from Brian Blessed. A man whose real life is wilder than a lot of fiction.

7 Likes

It’s less well-known that she had a complete collection of Fat Freddy’s Cat and the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers.

7 Likes