The Sandwich Alignment Chart (cue John Hodgman's exploding head!)

Hmm. Interesting. At that point I’d probably consider it to be a really weird sandwich.

7 Likes

Radical Sandwich Anarchist!

A slice of pizza folded in half is a sandwich.

9 Likes

5 Likes

The modifier is a vital part of my sandwich definition too. When I cut hotdogs into strips and lay them between bread with other traditional sandwich fillings, I call that a “hotdog sandwich.” Therefore, ex post facto the hotdog alone, or in it’s traditional carb-wrap, isn’t a sandwich.

Hot dogs are an ingredient. The fact that they don’t have their own ingredient+form name, when placed in a bun (a-la “Turkey Sandwich”) is just a function of hotdog holding hegemony over the tube-in-a-bun form. It’s diluted the brand so much, that the hotdog ends up shoe-horned into the sandwich brand…

I lvoe this one from the hodgman tweet replies:

@hodgman An ice cream sandwich is a sandwich the same way a koala bear is a bear

— jimmy 🌹 (@UD_j1mb0) May 3, 2017
3 Likes

A sausage sandwich is still a sandwich.

An Italian beef and sausage sandwich, dripping in gravy and topped with hot giardiniera, is the sandwich IMO, regardless of what this stupid chart has to say.

What is it then? Some kind of slang for cunnilingus?

9 Likes

This makes sense to me, but this:

Does not.

I can’t believe how furious this post made me. A Pop Tart is a sandwich?!?! Now I have to find the proper chair to throw through my window.

3 Likes

Hey!

Why aren’t open-face sandwiches on the chart?! They’re sandwiches too!

*runs like Hell*

7 Likes

It’s not just ingredients and structure, though- it’s also the only example in the chart that’s cooked after assembling into its sandwiched form.

If you’re going that far, you could argue that all pies are sandwiches. Or even that the hot dog sausage, by dint of being contained in a skin, is a sandwich in and of itself.

3 Likes

I get what you’re saying, but then what do we consider a Croque Monsieur or grilled cheese sandwich?

1 Like

Isn’t that just a calzone? A weird calzone but still…

1 Like

Get back here so I can beat you with the chairs I didn’t throw through windows!

2 Likes

No. It’s a grilled pizza folded in two. A calzone is baked, and is sealed after being folded over.

1 Like

here’s a nouveau zinger for you…

and while we’re going there…

and what about this donut bread…

4 Likes

Not to mention the panini…which is surely implied in the chart…

I’d like to think that if it was a sandwich before it was grilled, it is still a sandwich afterwards.

2 Likes

What kind of lunatic calls fillings “toppings” anyway?

3 Likes

If it’s an open-faced sandwich, or if it’s a single piece of bread cut in two or folded over, it’s a topping.

I’ve never said sandwich topping though, even though it makes more logical sense.

1 Like