The Santa Clara Men’s Cross Country team photos are a glorious sight to behold

Originally published at: The Santa Clara Men's Cross Country team photos are a glorious sight to behold | Boing Boing

11 Likes

What a delightfully goofy tradition!

22 Likes

So many, can’t pick my favorite :star_struck:

18 Likes

hands down my favorites are the first and last in the bottom row. party on, goof balls.

3 Likes

Middle, lower left row …doesn’t have a moustache

10 Likes

“Nick Nolte mugshot” guy is legendary

4 Likes

All the stunt-doubles for “My Name Is Earl” at the annual reunion.

also

G’night Jim-Bob, G’night Mary-Ellen, G’night John-Boy, G’night Ad Infinitum…

soz.

7 Likes

I can’t be bothered to find a gif of the old lady from Titanic saying “it was the most erotic moment of my life”, but you can just mentally insert that here.

4 Likes

I can identify with that guy. I was finally able to shave once a month when I turned 23. At 18, three months advance prep would have still left me baby faced.

Instead, I’d probably try to stick a wooly bear caterpillar to my upper lip.

5 Likes

8 Likes

This brings to mind the NHL tradition of the ‘Playoff Beard’ where by many players on teams that make it into the playoffs superstitiously avoid ‘making changes’ and somehow that extends to growing beards. It’s super goofy, but still a fun tradition.

4 Likes

What a wonderful and awesome tradition for these kids. We had a similar one for my high school cross country team. We all got matching earrings. As a bonus, I got kicked out of church for wearing it. Win fucking win.

16 Likes

God bless X-Country. The one sport for kids who didn’t get or like Sportsball, didn’t need cheerleaders, and enjoyed the local touring. All the more reason to take their fun when and where it occurs to them.

13 Likes

Reminds me of the Minnesota high school hockey hair tournament!

7 Likes

The “half-a-'tache” in the last photo is the icing on the giggle-worthy cake.

8 Likes

I don’t know if you participated, but you pegged it perfectly. I wasn’t coordinated enough to play any of the sports balls stuff, not big or strong enough to tackle or rough people up, couldn’t skate worth a damn, but I could run. I even mostly enjoyed it, Maine being a lovely state to run through with the woods playing a big part in most cross country courses.

8 Likes

I’m 53 and I still can’t grow a proper beard/mustache goddammit

3 Likes

was fully expecting somebody to mention all the damn vampires in Santa Clara/Carla somehow…

2 Likes

3 Likes

This is a dead ringer for most of the portrait displays I have seen in about a dozen State Legislature Buildings. Only more old white guys wearing blazers.