The secret history of Everything Bagels

9 Likes

Salt bagel is my favorite. If I’m in nyc, then from Essa Bagel.

3 Likes

I remember those. Still look for them in the store, and hope they’ll come back some day…

1 Like

We always did, unless the customer insisted that we should not. But I’ve been on the receiving end of enough bags of ruined bagels to have much faith in humanity.

This is somewhat akin to a pet store putting a family of skunks in with the bin of puppies (or however that works) and expecting people to still want to play with the puppies.

3 Likes

We used to say that was the way Kool-Aid came up with its wackier flavor combos: they just swept up the flavor dust from the floor and called it “Wildberry Punch.”

2 Likes

I have a friend who worked at Exodus in Rosi, and I can attest that they are probably the best bagels in the Boston area. Iggy’s in Cambridge is also really good.

Growing up in the N.E. corridor we are spoiled with regards to bagels, even Dunkin Donuts and Stop N Shop have respectable bagels in most locations. I tried to explain to someone recently that these bagged bagels you see like Lenders aren’t really bagels, they’re just regular bread in a bagel shape, there IS a difference.

5 Likes

Everything? I can’t believe anyone would fall for such blatantly false advertising.

5 Likes

wow - that’s funny - i personally feel like the everything bagel is the only flavor we need.

on 2nd thought - I take it back. sesame is valid, rye, bialy, chedar-jalepeno…all valid. I agree on the cinnamon-raisin though…and if you classify it as a pastry, then it loses every pastry battle, because cinnamon-raisin toast wins every time…although I’m told it is one of the original, classic flavors from 500 years ago. I must have been good in a time that didn’t have the donut, basically.

1 Like

I was eating bagels in Austin in the '80’s and no one thought anything of it (except, in hindsight, they really sucked compared to what you can find today). You could buy them in the freezer section at any regular grocery store. In 1992 I clearly remember discovering the everything bagel - they quickly became my go-to morning snack for quite a while. You just had weird co-workers at Dell.

I’m going to go outside and yell at kids to stay outta my yard now.

2 Likes

A local diner has a breakfast scramble called “Cleanup on aisle 12”

6 Likes

Not from the bakery at Safeway (which, again, doesn’t carry frozen ones at all, and at least those are closer to the real deal).

2 Likes

“Five Second Rule Bagels” ™

5 Likes

…or taste buds. G’dang… onion bagels are gross enough on their own, no need to add extra nasties.

1 Like

Om nom nom…

13 Likes

So it is the history of the name?

Boiled-then-baked rings of bread with toppings have been sold in Poland for hundreds of years, I’m sure at least some of the bakers would let you put all available toppings on them.

2 Likes

All the likes for you today, my friend!

If you haven’t had a Montreal bagel, you haven’t lived.

2 Likes

Frito Lay did a limited run several years back of a cheeseburger flavored chip. It was excellent!

2 Likes

Tim Horton’s Bagel BELT (Bacon, Egg, Lettuce, Tomato) with processed cheese so not really cheese.

Back in the 70’s and 80’s Gryfe’s Bagel Bakery (in Toronto) was the bee’s knee’s opening at 4am with fresh bagels that melted in the mouth with each bite. There was a line up at 4 am back then, probably not so now a days.

5 Likes

Not at 4am, but as of when I was still living in the area, there was indeed a line. :slight_smile:

Having had Gryfe’s and What-a-bagel bagels on the regular, I am now ruined for living in the bagel-less southern US. :frowning:

8 Likes

Oof, it’s hard to find a truly good bagel in SF. There are places, but they’re mostly fancy and expensive; what local bagel shops which exist serve acceptable but not amazing steam bagels.

I’m ok with it (I grew up in the Boston area eating Dunkin’ bagels), but folks who’ve lived in New York insist you can’t get an edible bagel in SF.

I guess I’ll have to get some lye and make my own one of these days…

3 Likes