The Selfie Stick Experiment

The YouTube poster, Glen Jamn, wrote the description below about this video (ALL CAPS are all his). I’m wondering what y’all think are the results of his “experiment”?

I think it shows how much people growing up now are used to being on camera.

If you don’t have a Selfie Face ready for instant deployment, you must be an old.

Sez Glen Jamn:

SO… I WENT TO AN UNNAMED MIAMI MUSIC FESTIVAL OVER THE WEEKEND FOR LIKE AN HR TO SEE A HOMIE PLAY… BUT WITH RESPECT TO THEIR NO OUTSIDE FILMING RULES, I DIDN"T REALLY SHOOT…

BUT… I HAD THIS SELFIE STICK THAT I BOUGHT FOR LIKE $15 IN KOREA (via CHINESE AMAZON) AND I BROUGHT IT TO MIAMI IN CASE I WANTED TO PLAY WITH IT…

THEN I WAS LIKE MAYBE I’LL JUST DO AN EXPERIMENT TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS IF I CARRY ONE OF THESE THINGS AT A FESTIVAL… WELL, IT WAS SORTA TIGHT :wink:

1 Like

Reminds me of this video from 2013 where the proprietors of an Electronic Dance Music club (with a terribly offensive name) took videos for people who thought they were posing for snapshots.

Young people with cameras in clubs and dance music. I wonder if Andy Warhol would be proud that so much of today’s youth do to him what he did to Campbell’s soup.

1 Like

Thanks, hadn’t see that. It shows even better what I’m trying to grasp. A lot of these people probably practiced that face in a mirror. You never know, since it happens so often now, when someone’s going to point a camera at you, or you’re going to point one at yourself.

Not that all of this is pointing out something profound, so far… But yeah, Warhol would be all over it, for sure. He carried a camera around constantly, so I guess that’s yet another way he saw the future before other people did.

1 Like

YUP.

Kids today. (sigh)

2 Likes

Teenagers (and pre-teenagers) have always practiced in front of a mirror, for as long as there have been mirrors.

But the selfie face doesn’t even have to be practiced in that way, because they are taking literally hundreds of photos of themselves every day, and viewing those shots immediately in order to send them to others via Snapchat, Instagram, etc.

It’s kind of equivalent to sitting up and straightening your shoulders every time a teacher/parent/boss comes into the room. It’s reflexive at this point for them.

4 Likes

I don’t have a “face” at all! I consider myself to be a text-based organism, and still really wonder about why people think that the front of the head is supposedly so much more interesting than the rest of their bodies. The amount of brain power people waste trying to track other’s eyes and mouth are astonishing. Just think about how much more they could accomplish if they used that effort to actually communicate, and interpret/understand what people say? Why not photo hands? At least one can actually do something with those.

2 Likes

Ha! My cuticles are actually reasonable ATM. My eyebrows, not so much. And I love peoples hands, they tell stories. Scars, suppleness, missing digits, nails, stains, musculature, it is all fascinating.

2 Likes

Go on, post a handie for us.

2 Likes

One for the newspaper report when I’m accused of something.

3 Likes

This is my latest. 304 stainless, sliced my thumb down to the bone. Threw up from pain and almost blacked out on the toilet.

Not my finest scar, but the stiffest.

It really isn’t a clear photo, and why yes I did wrap it in duct tape.

3 Likes

My grandfather got his first and middle finger on two different occasions. I loved the guy, but come on chain saws kick.

I’m not surprised that a selfie stick could be used as a cinematographic tool. I’ve seen Phillip Bloom use a similar technique when filming in Hong Kong.

3 Likes

Be more conscious in using Selfie Stick Pro.

OK - fucking hell - can we stop this already? Self-photography is not a new thing. “Selfie sticks” are also not a new thing. Monopods & Pole-mounts have been things for a long, long time - particularly in sports videography.

There’s nothing experimental at all about this.

Here’s mine, I guess. Note the fingernails chewed down to the quick, and the puffy allergic reaction to sunlight and fresh air. The dark stains on the tip of the index and middle finger is tobacco tar.

2 Likes

That’s quite a thumb you’ve got. I think back in the bad old days it might have been classified as a +2 eye-gouger :wink:

1 Like

Between the two of you, I can imagine some epic thumb-wrasslin’. Don’t know where to place my bet!

@SmashMartian, we draw the knuckles back on our Southern California flipoffs.

The back of the hand is misleadingly hirsute. Until five years ago or so, I had maybe twelve hairs on my chest.

3 Likes

I was never any good at thumbwrestling, but when I was a kid, I was the champ at mercy. Never beaten, half because I have a vice-like grip and robust bone structure (I have no idea why my grip is so strong, I don’t think I exercise it anymore than anyone else), and half because I was always willing to break a finger winning.

1 Like

Probably due to the to weird tendons I got from punching a small but very sharp chisel all the way through it and out the other side many years back. No scars to boast of, just pain and now a slightly wonky hand.

I did manage to get a decent laugh out of the A&E nurse though, so that evening wasn’t a complete loss.

2 Likes

If you wanna see the ugly, I could post a photo of my foot. It used to have a big toenail, until it got an infection that redefined my concept of pain. 15 minutes at the doctor’s office with a pair of pliers and some phenol and I’ll never get a toenail infection on that foot again.

I’m seriously considering getting the other nine nails removed too. They don’t serve any function and they just keep growing.