The She-Hulk trailer is finally here

she was really good in the HBO Perry Mason series too.

2 Likes

Since we’re 20 posts in and nobody has said it yet- so glad to see Tatiana Maslany making it big. She’s a goddam Canadian national treasure and Orphan Black is one of the best pieces of television ever produced. I will die on that hill. Until you’ve seen her playing a girl pretending to be her twin sister pretending to be her and both girls have different accents and you can still tell who is who and who is pretending to be who… well, you haven’t seen acting.

Edit: Oops, @xkot did mention it. Well it deserved to be said twice. :grimacing:

23 Likes

In the 2003 movie, immediately after failing to convince a court to convict an accused rapist, he chased down the acquitted defendant (purely as an act of vengeance, as the guy wasn’t actively committing crimes) and murdered him by throwing him into the path of a subway train. A clear act of premeditated murder.

In the first episode of the TV show he tortured a guy to get information.

He can’t even plausibly claim that he was seeking street justice because that’s the only choice when the system is broken, when he himself was an integral part of that system. So I maintain that he’s not only a murderous vigilante, but also much more hypocritical than characters like Deadpool who don’t pretend to have respect for the system.

As for Batman being anti-killing, it definitely depends on the movie or comic. In Batman Returns he seemed to have no problem with burning henchmen to death:

Anyway, from what I can see it looks like She-Hulk will be acting out in the open and doing everything above-board, so a much better character than Daredevil.

7 Likes

I absolutely am loving the idea of bringing She-Hulk to life at last and love what I’m seeing in this trailer. I, too, really hope to see a little Daredevil love in this, maybe her and Matt facing off in the courtroom over some super villain like Bronsky. She’s always been an amazing character and it even seems they’re willing to lean into her enjoyment of expressing her sexuality (always worry Disney is going to tone things down to much).

Love it ALL!

Except for the CGI.

I know, I know… angry nerd (if you know me, of course, you know that’s not true). But I’ve come to expect more of Marvel than what I’m seeing for her character here. As someone mentioned, I’m pretty sure it’s not quite finished yet and will be improved by show release. Early trailers often have rougher CGI, or CGI that changes by release time.

Also, WandaVision was amazing, easily their best show so far, Black Widow was decently enjoyable, Captain Marvel was excellent, and, and, and… I’m just babbling now, aren’t I?

5 Likes

Is she going to share an office with Harvey Birdman?

7 Likes

Unfortunately Birdman is owned by Warner Bros.

4 Likes

You and I are on the same page! My wife and I were constantly knocked out by how each iteration of her character was not only noticeably different (not just hair/make-up/clothes/accent different, but different) and easy for us to differentiate – but each was a complete human being, not a caricature. And don’t even get me started about the times when she was one character pretending to be another character! It was some next-level acting.

9 Likes

I will have to check that out!

The special effects look a little off to my eyes, but I’ve been waiting to see She Hulk on screen for most of my adult life; so I am totally here for it.

Orphan Black is exactly why I know who Maslany is; she’s incredible.

13 Likes

I think it was the Dan Slott run that focused almost exclusively on Lawyerin’ that made her very popular with younger comics readers and women in the 00’s. It’s fabulous. Basically a workplace legal comedy lightly ribbing the rest of Marvel.

Given how the MCU do they’re probably mostly rooting it in that, but will bring in some of the “classic” take on the character by mining Byrne.

That seems to be their approach. Recentish critically acclaimed run + definitive classic then riff from there.

And that’s the hook with DareDevil. He knows that too. And he has extremely Catholic feels about it.

Absolutely. But a lot of “street level” heros deal with this by mainly fighting shit like corrupt politicians, scummy land lords and nebulous “organized crime”. As goes DareDevil a pretty big thrust is the lawyer end. Where he basically spends most of his non-punchy time providing free legal representation for poor people. At minimum it’s an offset to the punching random muggers aspect. In the better runs it’s a bit more core, with the lawyering providing the actual social change and solution. The punching just being a pathway to force that through.

There’s still the not so great “street crime” tropes, where they demonstrate the street level heroness with “patrol” and beating up random muggers. And this sort of thing is inconsistently applied. But there is a context to this approach beyond beating up the poor and desperate.

Though, probably gritty ass Batman’s fault, there’s often a failure to execute this approach at all in adaptations. Often too much organized crime, not enough end rounding the rich and corrupt. It’s gritty and real so we’ll have some torture.

More on topic IIRC there’s quite a bit in the She-Hulk comics with those people suing heroes for medical bills.

3 Likes

Im Out Amy Poehler GIF by FOX TV

I’m fine with that.

6 Likes

When the first season of Orphan Black finished I was recommending it to everyone, but every time I mentioned it to my father he’d say “oh yeah, Orange is the New Black, we watch that show.” Like 3 or 4 times over the run of the show I tried and he said the same thing and I finally gave up. Then one day he says to me “We started watching this show about clones you should see…” :man_facepalming:

11 Likes

Even now, in this very thread, there are those chomping at the bit to talk at length about anything and everything, other than She Hulk and the amazing actor that is playing the role.

Odd how that happens…

6 Likes

Indeed. Luckily I know next to nothing about She-Hulk so I can watch it without pre-complaining and see what the awesome Tatiana Maslany gets up to without getting my purple pants in a twist.

9 Likes

Zach Snyder and Frank Miller and Mark Millar are confused by this comment.

7 Likes

I, for one, am looking forward to this.
I enjoyed Orphan Black as well.
As for breaking the 4th wall - that’s often the best bit, and I’m pretty sure that Jen did that in the comics as well, not that I’ve read the whole lot, just what I can recall.

2 Likes

They could arrange a crossover episode! But that would end up being way too weird for Disney/MCU.

1 Like

I had the trailer recommended to me on YouTube from several channels. All of them seemed to have a different green in the thumbnail.

She is marvellous (as it were).

I look forward to the expansion of She-Hulk’s backstory, in which she is one of a number of results of an evil cloning experiment, adopted and raised by Bruce Banner’s aunt and uncle, until that fateful car crash…

What I really want is to see Maslany as She-Hulk pretending to be her sestra Helena (not such a stretch actually) teaming up for some exploit with her sister Alison pretending to be Deadpool.

If anyone hasn’t seen her earlier work, she’s good in Picture Day too.

7 Likes

I need more Helena in my life.

8 Likes