The squeezable tube foods of Sweden

Can confirm. We can sometimes find pesto in a tube (which my Swedish friend tipped us off to), and it lasts longer in the fridge than the jarred variety.

8 Likes

Yes. They are designed for that. We have used them for peanut butter, which tends to escape from screw-top jars.

13 Likes

:notes:
Any cheese of mine better squeeze that line
Better show me a cheezin’ squeezin’ pleasin’ kinda time
I need a tube that knows how the toppings go…
:notes:

(Shania Twain’s original [cued], in case anyone here didn’t spend years working at a place where the radio was always tuned to country-pop.) (Possibly mildly NSFW?)

3 Likes

Are these not a thing in America? I’d have thought that squeezable food was just the thing for the USA. I certainly had these as a kiddie in the UK; but that was the 1970s, and the past is a strange country.

3 Likes

Pickled Shoggoth; yum.

7 Likes

Please tell me the brand name is Pesto Squeezo.

Onion Ring Lol GIF by Justin Gammon

7 Likes

I don’t remember, but let’s go with that.

3 Likes

My kids were babies when the squeeze-pouch baby foods became a thing. They ended up being a bit wasteful, expensive and a crap-shoot for whether my kids would eat them. We were pretty psyched when a company finally developed a decent re-fillable ones. They had a ziploc side and a screwtop and were pretty easy to clean and store. I ended up finishing up a lot of uneaten yogurt and it seemed handy and tidy, but it never occurred to me to seek out adult- targeted tube foods…

2 Likes

If I were even slightly musically inclined I’m pretty sure that “Food Tubes of Sweden” would be my experimental post-punk band.

6 Likes

Not really a thing in the US. Thinking back, I can recall seeing anchovy paste, garlic paste, and tomato paste sold in tubes in the Imported Foods aisles, though my family didn’t buy them.

It looks like Muir Glen (a brand of organic tomato products from California, now owned by General Mills) sells tomato paste in a “tube” these days, and it appears to be more like a juice pouch than a tube. It’s for sale at Target, but I don’t see it on Muir Glen’s own website…

ETA: At Target:
Muir Glen Organic Tubed Tomato Paste - 5.5oz is $3.99
while Muir Glen Organic Tomato Paste in a 6oz can is $1.39
One definitely pays for convenience.

6 Likes

Wait, not even tomato paste? That’s the one thing that always comes in a tube in every country I’ve ever been shopping in. I thought that was a universal

ETA: the tube section of my fridge

6 Likes

Yeah, that’s about the only thing we have in tubes here, unfortunately, I like the form factor and convenience, there isn’t much else that would be well served by being stuffed in a tube.

2 Likes

Tomato paste and anchovy paste in tubes are easy to find in my local grocery stores (Deep South US city with a lot of “outsiders”), usually in the “international” section.

Aldi will sometimes have these:

I use them sometimes when a sauce or a soup is missing something flavor wise and I am lazy.

5 Likes

I bet that’s because Aldi is German

3 Likes

I can’t speak for every family in the US, of course, but when I was growing up, the mainstay was tomato paste in cans. Tubes were the fancy, expensive thing found in the imported/foreign food section, if at all.

This is the brand that my parents usually bought, in the cute little 6oz cans:

Contadina

After consulting with family in the tomato canning business in Sicily, Francesco, Carlo and Giuseppe Aiello and brother-in-law Anthony Gangi founded Aiello Brothers & Company. In 1914, the upstart company built a tomato canning factory in Highland, New York, becoming the first U.S. producer of canned tomato paste.

Nowadays, of course, the whole world is more available to us, and as @Wayward indicates, more things are coming in new packaging now.

5 Likes

Here in Maine, pretty rural state, we can get tubes of tomato paste at the grocery. Also anchovy paste. And those herb things @zfirphdn (oops! I mean @Wayward) posted a photo of.
Lately it seems like they reorganize the store shelves every 3 months, so I’m not sure where those tubes live, in the international aisle or the canned/preserved tomatoes aisle, or somewhere else, but they’re always easy to find.

6 Likes

That was @Wayward :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks! Fixed. I was rushing through the thread like flavoring bursting from a tube. Need to slow down.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.