The squeezable tube foods of Sweden

Originally published at: The squeezable tube foods of Sweden | Boing Boing

9 Likes

That’s some weird toothpaste.

16 Likes

Guy says he gets the food but doesn’t get the tubes. What else are you going to put it in? In a jar, air gets in and the food goes off sooner. A tube is a practical way to store such foods and keep them edible much longer. I wish they were more of a thing where I am (or that IKEA stocked more of this sort of thing).

9 Likes

I actually keep a tube or two of the standard Kalles (my IKEA thankfully stocks it). It’s great to add as part of the broth in instant ramen, and sometimes i’m inclined to add it as a topping to certain dishes for an extra bit of umami and flavor. Doubt the average American would love it, they tend to hate fishy flavors but for me its quite nice.

11 Likes

Fish Paste, lol.

Exactly.

And things I dislike about North American condiment packaging are jars (glass or plastic) with “shoulders” that prevent a significant amount from ever escaping the container unless you open it completely through non-conventional means like breaking the glass or cutting open the plastic. It’s never easy like toothpaste or consumer paint tubes.

Slightly off-topic, but now I’m imagining poor little Ingemar in My Life as a Dog, But For Some Reason They Gave Me Space Food Tubes Instead of Kibble.

13 Likes

Makes a lot more sense than jars or squeeze bottles. Those $#@^ squeeze bottle leave like 10% of the product clinging to the walls unless you open them up and scrape them out through the narrow ass neck.

3 Likes

Open a can of bread, and squeeze on the topping.

images

18 Likes

Plus when it’s in a tube you can call it Squeezey Cheese.

7 Likes

Obligatory…

from

12 Likes

If you’re really jonesing for tube food, a lot of hiker’s food comes in tubes, and you can even buy empty tubes to fill with your own foods. The bottoms are shipped open, you fill it with the foodstuffs, and then crimp or otherwise seal the bottom until you’re ready to suck the food out on the trail.

15 Likes

Can these be readily reused?

2 Likes

Excellent!

4 Likes

Eat a hotdog?

8 Likes

If you need a good art joke, you can probably find it at Cat and Girl…

6 Likes

Same in Norway. Fish products and offal don’t smell any more appealing after being pureed and put in a tube.

I assume they are a quick way of identifying anyone masquerading as one of our Nordic cousins.

Though they are tame compared to the horrors you can find in an Icelandic grocery store.

4 Likes

Dr. Freud would have a lot to say. A lot.

1 Like

lizzy caplan conan obrien GIF by Team Coco

6 Likes

Speaking of anti-oxygen convenience - guacamole in a squeeze tube / pouch is highly recommended from a durability and convenience standpoint.

8 Likes

I was introduced to cheese (with different added flavours) in a tube in Denmark, now I could get this from most UK supermarkets, I only just learned they donate profits.

4 Likes

Fish paste for mah fish biscuits?!

James Sawyer Reaction GIF

5 Likes