The teachers' strikes are spreading

Cory, no mention of Arizona’s 50,000-75,000 (depending on who’s counting) teachers marching on the capitol, with their walkout going into the 3rd day today (Monday) with no end in sight?

5 Likes

My wife works with young adults fresh from public high schools that are unable to make change. Since they work as cashiers, it makes for interesting days.

I fully support the teacher strikes, and I’m particularly pleased the teachers here in Colorado haven’t caved to threats.

A correction isn’t the same as an apology. And it seems Cory made a correction:

While reading through the comments I felt that apalatn brought up a legitimate problem with the article as it was originally written. And so, it seems, did Cory.

When building something, whether its a structure or an article, the foundation needs to be solid. Somebody pointing out a flaw in the foundation isn’t always the enemy. An enemy would use the flaw to tear it all down; “The article said they were IMPRISONED and that didn’t happen! This whole thing is FAKE NEWS! Blah blah anger blah!”

You are certainly your own person and have a right to your opinions and reactions, but is it really helping to attack someone who’s on your side?

Or… are you playing a character? I’m just not sure…

I wasn’t defending anyone. I guess i get annoyed when folks get all ‘you should’ about things, and I get a bit ‘mmm, but should you?’.

YMMV. Thanks for adding your opinion to the stew.

1 Like

FTFY.

Because Mer’ka is a special snowflake among peer countries where policies that work in every other last peer country somehow won’t work, but will also never be tried because special. Exceptionalism!

2 Likes

Hmm. Are you my brother-in-law? The devil’s advocate is strong with him as well.

You bet! Happy to throw in a couple of carrots.

1 Like

Well that’s where this is different than gun control of public medicine. Public schools have been tried in America, they worked fucking great, just like they did every single other place that tried them. The notion that you should not* trust the government to teach basic literacy and numeracy is about the most antithetical-to-reality idea I’ve ever heard anyone spout. Honest-to-God I think the flat-Earthers make more sense.

* Was not here originally, hence @TooGoodToCheck_'s comment below

3 Likes

And indeed, public education in the US reached it’s apex at some point in the late 1970’s. Since 1980 it’s been under constant attack via continuous budget cutting and a ridiculous PR campaign supporting the cuts as something good rather than something that’s provably and demonstrably bad. At this point, funding public education appropriately is one of those things that we just can’t do in the US because “economies of scale” or similar cockamamie reason all boiling down to how exceptional this lousy nation is.

2 Likes

Currant spending per student, averaged across the U.S., is a bit down from a high a few years ago, but is significantly higher than 1980.

Seriously it’s getting so bad that some people are arguing that we can’t even afford to buy the kids tiny raisins anymore.

5 Likes

It was a Herculean effort for me to avoid making this joke. I just want to know that others shared your struggle, and no one blames you for succumbing. :hugs:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.