The true history of Ivermectin

A little off topic, but I had a patient with new onset diabetes whose mother would not allow insulin to be given until we had checked for “pancreatic worms,” which her chiropractor told her was the cause of the diabetes. I have never been so angry to order an O&P in my life.

Inside Out Reaction GIF by Disney Pixar

13 Likes

Um, no, I think that’s because no legit medical doctor would prescribe ivermectin for the indication of treating or preventing COVID. They get it from feed stores because they can.

Veternarians do not hand out prescription drugs just because people ask. Both veterinarians in my family get asked for drugs all the time because people weirdly think vets will give them to them without having an actual pet with an actual indication for that drug, just like human doctors. Ivermectin is not a controlled substance so feed stores (and vets) can sell it no questions asked. It’s mostly about as harmless as ibuprofen so it’s OTC.

The US healthcare system is an absolute unmitigated disaster. Nobody here would disagree with you on that. I don’t think that ties in well to people taking ivermectin though. That’s all about bad personal choices and willful ignorance at this point.

6 Likes

I realize that actually getting caregiver compliance(in time for it to actually matter) is a whole different kettle of fish; but I would hope that “insulin for diabetes” has gotten to the point(not long now until it’ll be literally a century of human use) where refusing to cooperate with that would be considered about the most textbook case of what severe medical neglect looks like in any sane jurisdiction.

Am I overestimating the sanity of our jurisdictions; or is it just all too easy to stall/be marginally compliant until the damage is already done with a condition that requires significant ongoing monitoring and routine treatment to be managed?

2 Likes

Yes, you are far overestimating sanity. Where I trained there was a judge who prided himself on “never allowing a child to be removed from the home where God had placed them.” I don’t know what ever became of “Crazy Larry,” but that fact that I still remember his name 30 years later speaks to how much trauma he caused.

5 Likes

Always a danger with a BtB show on a really recent, or evolving topic. Definitely less vetted, and not as well prepared. I always take these episodes with a grain of salt, just because everything is changing quickly. Overall, still a good episode.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.