The Trump family's holidays and business trips have used up the entire Secret Service budget

AND full of listen devices installed by the Obama administration, cause they knew Trump was going to win the election…

1 Like

Jeebuz! Stress much?
Being killed in office would be the best thing that Orange-cano could do for the GOP.
Of course I don’t want that.
I just think that some courageous public servants could do with a little time off.

1 Like

I just assumed that draining money out of government coffers and feeding it to his businesses was the basic plan from the beginning. The Secret Service is just the first such agency to report in. His other schemes for enriching himself from his office will be much more ambitious.

10 Likes

Why exactly do you think I am stressing about this? I am merely pointing out that 1) they are required by law to protect the POTUS and the extended family of the sitting president and 2) despite the idea we as a nation would be better off without 45, it is not realistic to leave a sitting president without the proper protection the office affords.

if your comment is merely meant to be snark or humor, then I suggest labeling it as such; otherwise it can be viewed as a serious consideration made by you and is open to scrutiny.

If only Congress was controlled by the same party as the president*. They could fast track a bill to increase the funding of the SS and then everything would be fine…

7 Likes

Well, yes, but if he hires the wrong people, he’ll only have himself to blame.

…No, wait, that would be silly.

2 Likes

The Secret Service is only obliged to protect the President. By convention it has extended this to their spouse and juvenile children. There is no law demanding they protect Trump’s grown-up children and their spouses and children.

10 Likes

OK, so I don’t like Trump. And I don’t like that his children from three marriages are eligible for protection as they jet around the world. And I don’t like that his wife is eligible for protection while she refuses to live in the White House. And I don’t like that his own personal coffers will be lined with the rents of the secret service. I could go on. There are a hell of a lot of things that stink about this.

But, it’s worth pointing out that the secret service also is charged with protecting all the past presidents, their wives, and any children (for ten years after their term ended). If people start arguing for cost cutting in Secret Service protection, whom do you think the current administration will vote to axe (figuratively, of course)? My money is on the protection of Obama’s family.

As nice as it would be, they aren’t going to stop protecting Trump.

In 2013 Obama extended the protection due to former presidents from ten years post presidency to life.

4 Likes

The whole ‘salary waving’ by rich people is such a stupid con on stupid people.

Schwarzenegger did the same thing. Didn’t take his California Governor salary. He also refused to move to Sacramento, and instead had a governors office setup in LA near his own mansion, and tons of people flew back and forth all the time.

So he ditched a single less than $200k a year salary, and had the state spend millions a year accommodating his super rich lifestyle.

12 Likes

Well somebody sure put a dump in it

5 Likes

A private security force would have serious problems operating on foreign soil. Even the Secret Service wasn’t allowed to enter Canada armed until 1995. (They probably were before that in a don’t ask, don’t tell, wink-wink arrangement.)

2 Likes

You mean the nonprofit that formed solely to force the Clintons’ constantly be within five feet of their lawyers (and lower prominent Republican billionaire Richard Scaife’s tax burden) are biased in favor of Trump?

6 Likes

They need him for their super secret Afghanistan strategy.

3 Likes

the United States Secret Service is authorized to protect the following persons: …

Also they are authorized to spend their budget.

When the kitty runs low, just buy them kevlar vests and their choice of firearms.

I think I’ll start a gofundme campaign.

2 Likes

Who is the Secret Service authorized to protect?
By law, the Secret Service is authorized to protect:

• The president, the vice president, (or other individuals next in order of succession to the Office of the President), the president-elect and vice president-elect
  • The immediate families of the above individuals
  • Former presidents, their spouses, except when the spouse re-marries
  • Children of former presidents until age 16
  • Visiting heads of foreign states or governments and their spouses traveling with them, other distinguished foreign visitors to the United States, and official representatives of the United States performing special missions abroad
  • Major presidential and vice presidential candidates, and their spouses within 120 days of a general presidential election
  • Other individuals as designated per Executive Order of the President and
  • National Special Security Events, when designated as such by the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security

So. In short. If the president says “protect my grand kids” they are required to do so. We can argue if the president is over reaching or abusing his powers yes. But it isn’t an argument around what the SS must or must not do. They have no choice.

EDIT: for formatting and source is https://www.secretservice.gov/

1 Like

Well, there’s the 60K on golf cart rentals from the golf club alone.

Everything about it is icky.

9 Likes

that’s why most presidents go to camp david, and other such sites, where the costs are known and the payments more ethical.

shrub wins no prizes for trying to establish his “southern whitehouse.” it still seems to me, being away from the established hubs contributed to the failures of intelligence leading up to 9/11.

9 Likes

Additionally…Camp David is a designated spot where SS details and security are manned year round 24/7 regardless if the POTUS is on site or not. So in essence it is more cost effective to go here because it is already paid for and budgeted.

But you know…to be honest…we have a CEO 1%er in office. He has literally never paid for a thing his entire life. He’s never signed a check, cut an invoice, pulled out a credit card or cash for anything. So for him…his expectation coming in was that he would want what he wants, get what he wants, and the cost or inconvenience, or budget would be beneath his pay grade.

this is just one of many issues with electing a business leader to public office.

8 Likes

It wasn’t the Secret Service that got a bad deal. It was the American taxpayers that got a bad deal. The voters and citizens, too, but that’s a different, yet related, topic.

3 Likes

more than 1,000 agents have already reached their federally mandated caps on salary and overtime, and without a lifeline from Congress, many won’t get paid for hours of work they’ve already done

Do they have a union? Grievance! Work to rule!

7 Likes