The Truth Behind The Great Pyramids - Egyptologists HATE him

Pretty sure you meant Pharaohs. The Pharisees were Jews.

9 Likes

You’re arguing with a straw man. Egyptologists don’t generally say things like, “The pyramids were tombs. It’s settled. Deal with it.” They say things along the lines of, “according to the available evidence, the pyramids appear to be tombs.”

I was once a grad. student in Classics (full disclosure, didn’t finish PhD). Ancient history is a sloppy domain, full of holes, with highly limited evidence, often from indirect sources, and a certain amount of deduction based on probability is the standard for dealing with the gaps. Ancient historians are forced to argue from probability quite a lot, since their subject is inherently extremely limited in accessibility and availability of empirical evidence.

The reason that most Egyptologists believe the pyramids served as tombs is because it’s the most likely theory, and what limited evidence we have based on the evidence of the pyramids, the small amount of hieroglyphs found in the pyramids and the other buildings in the pyramid complexes, the apparent sarcophagi, the evidence in and around the pyramid complexes, the role of the other buildings in the pyramid complexes, and other facts we know about Egyptian society best supports it.

9 Likes

wikipedia says

The Valley was used for primary burials from approximately 1539 BC to 1075 BC, and contains at least 63 tombs, beginning with Thutmose I (or possibly earlier, during the reign of Amenhotep I), and ending with Ramesses X or XI, although non-Royal burials continued in usurped tombs.[27]

Thutmose I and Amenhotep I were 18th dynasty pharaohs. Rameses XI was 20th dynasty. The Great pyramid was built for Khufu. The Second pyramid was built for Khafre, and the third for Menkaure. All were fourth dynasty pharaohs.

Essentially, Thutmose lived one thousand years after Khufu…

Unfortunately, the Pyramid Texts are first associated with Unas. a fifth dynasty pharaoh.

4 Likes

It looks like an Italian Greyhound to me.

(Hit that wiki link for a closer image match…)

2 Likes

Possibly. In that case, the hare is shown for scale. And that’s a fat headless pigeon right there.

Edit. Love the S/M/L school of dog design. So convenient.

4 Likes

Recently, a few Pharaonic harbors have been found-- Wadi al Jarf and Ayn Sukhna.

The finds at Wadi al Jarf include papyri- diaries of people who worked on pyramid construction, during Khufu’s reign.

sse http://files.petra-marikova-vlckova.webnode.cz/200000074-a9a8caaa0f/neareastarch.77.1.0004-libre_lr1.pdf

4 Likes

trolley rating: 1.5 on the Derp-o-meter.

You’re going to have to step up your game, son, or you’re gonna sit out a few innings.

6 Likes

FWIW, in Britain such a depiction of a dog really would be most likely a Whippet, and in Egypt would be most likely a Saluki, Ibizan, or Pharaoh Hound (or a Greyhound).

3 Likes

How does one live over 1000 years without tapping into mystical powers or advanced technology via pyramids?

5 Likes

Sigh. Obvious troll is obvious. Lets talk more about pyramids, the ancient world’s anti-TARDIS.

5 Likes

Good point. My position that it is taught as fact may be a biased one. I’ve not been exposed to graduate level discussions on the subject. I’ve been limited to private schools, public schools, and a CS higher education. I’ve been speaking from my own experience which may not accurately reflect the position of Egyptology as a whole. It seems to me that when we land upon a position based on circumstantial evidence, we will often begin to discover other evidence which we interpret as supporting that position. This leads me to doubt conclusions drawn from such lines of thought and I can’t help but think the end result is a lack of challenge to the position which lends to complacency and an end to the challenges to that theory. That seem ultimately harmful. I’ll keep my eyes open for mentions of positions such as “according to the available evidence, the pyramids appear to be tombs.” from Egyptologists to support the straw man claim and hold back on further judgment.

Thankfully, there are still people here capable of rational discussion without resorting to childish ploys.

You know what I hate most about “Egyptology”? They diddle around for-freakin-ever before actually doing anything. If I found a thermal anomaly at my house, I’d be all, “get the crowbar. And bring my blasting powder.” These people are nuts. It’ll be another year at least before they pry a few rocks apart.

3 Likes

Do they win races handily, but occasionally catch fire like Italian cars?

3 Likes

You think the spectators are there for the pretty colors?

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Like how many licks would it take #10 to reach the grainy center of a pyramid?

2 Likes

That’s because Saul Alinsky was an archaeologist.

1 Like

I have seen numerous depictions of how the grain was stored in pyramids (along with other foodstuffs)
Here is one depiction that was copied from a pyramid wall in 1992. Unfortunately, revisionists destroyed and replaced this depiction sometime in the mid 2000’s…

idea shamelessly borrowed from a fake news show

15 Likes

So, are all the food stuffs embedded in the granite or what? That’s not helpful!! And who wants sharp bread anyway?

4 Likes

Yes they are (embedded). One merely goes into the starchamber at the top of the pyramid; asks the universe for the desired foodstuff; the foodstuff is then “phased” out of the granite matrix and transported to your basket.

2 Likes

Is this like Star Trek replicators, or do you have to actually manually insert the stuff into the granite to be later extracted?
Cause I can imagine some pretty hilarious mislabelling pranks we could pull on old Pharaoh.

“Noooooo… I said I wanted fruits of the earth!”

3 Likes