The ultimate minimalist wristwatch

Now you have two problems. What time is it? And which way is your orientation point?

2 Likes

Goddam dubyas, emasculating the male noun to wo-man.

Ristband, man, ristband.

2 Likes

That would also be a T S Eliot watch: “Points to one end which is always now.”

It would be nice to have a version of this thing which had a sweep second hand and no other hands, and a dial which said “Now” all the way round. Because a purely stationary one is not Zen, since Zen says that everything is in constant flux as per the koan:

Yesterday I had rice to eat
Today I’m hungry again.
Eat rice, drink water.

3 Likes

ALSO…I’d have to be awake during the daytime. ~sighs~

(i know you well enough from our BB interactions to know you share same problem of being awake at night…lol.)

2 Likes

I’m on the day shift now. I’m enjoying the [vitamin] D I’m getting. But yeah, I still end up staying up till like 3AM just so I can chat with friends on the other side of this stupid little dirtrock.

4 Likes

I assume it has a minute counter to time the newborns…

1 Like

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgJ9kElu1EukJiaz5F5KCy39KxLM0udGw3Ph3du1kQw8e0lYPC
Lifeclock.

sorry, Lifeclock.

12 Likes

Is this type of product somewhat of an “end of days” indicator?

It’s useless, and wasteful. As my grandfather would say. But I agree.

Doesn’t this stuff only show up in mass production just before everything collapses?

2 Likes

Seriously though, I started the night shift thinking I wouldn’t miss the day at all. I had practically no local friends, I live with my family, and the less I interact with them the more comfortable I am. But just the sun… I get why people worship the sun now. It’s worth a whole lot in your life.

3 Likes

Conspicuous Sloth + Wasteful Consumption.

3 Likes

What, kind of ghastly arriviste has to pay someone to tell them the time? My natural air of authority and command means I can get anyone to tell me the time. I know, I know, some are just born to greatness. The rest of you will just have to mimic it with your fistfuls of grubby cash.

10 Likes

Back in the 80s I bought myself a Tissot rock watch to celebrate something, and after the first couple of years it never worked except for a month or two each time I try to get it repaired. I occasionally wear it anyway, just because I like having the polished granite on my wrist. Periodically I change the time to something within an hour or two of the actual time, just as a fidgit. When people ask me the time, as an irritating number of watchless people do, I just silently turn my wrist so they can see the watch.

4 Likes

Nice try, but not even close.

I bought this “watch”:

http://www.bookofjoe.com/2007/08/out-of-time-wat.html

created by German artist Ina Seifart (http://www.inaseifart.de/) in 2007 for $150 from the Museum of Modern Art store (sadly, they no longer carry it).

Stainless steel.

Priceless.

And timeless, so much so, she called it the “Out of Time” watch.

2 Likes

I do this just by having all my watches get broken or have dead batteries. And then follow your method.

I’ll draw one on my wrist. At least that one will be right twice a day.

I have an elderly Russian skeleton watch. It’s hard to read the hands against the background of gears, so I only check the time if I really need to, and it’s only right within a couple of minutes. When it eventually breaks I doubt it can be repaired.
But then I don’t need to catch trains.

1 Like

The ‘last updated’ date on the FAQs is 1st April. This looks like a very slick April Fool’s joke.

1 Like

If it had one of those little ball-bearing maze puzzles in it, I’d buy it.

Well. . . probably not, but still . . . at least it would have a use besides reminding me I don’t care about what time it is every time I look at my wrist.

3 Likes

You’re sorted!

If you have $12000…

5 Likes