The ultimate minimalist wristwatch

So, it’s $80 for a wristwatch that doesn’t convey any information. How much for no wristwatch at all? Or if I have to ask, does that mean I can’t afford it?

6 Likes

My son found a watch band with the ring of the watch still there (I don’t know what it’s called) but no watch piece when he was in high school. He wore it for a few days and if anyone asked him the time, he’d say “time for me to buy a new watch”. Too bad he didn’t think of selling it for $79.

5 Likes

Only $79? That kind of minimalism should cost at least $800.

9 Likes

That kind of Sundial requires being on a level surface and being oriented correctly towards the South, that is, it’s useless without a level and a compass. However there are portable sundials that do not require a compass, including ring dials and universal equinoctial ring dials. There are also some that can be drawn out and used on a piece of card stock, such as the Capuchin sundial.

1 Like

Right only once a day! Correctness minimalism.

8 Likes

This is perfect for people who want to get into arguments with strangers.

Excuse me, do you know what time it it?

Sorry, I don’t.

But I can see you’re wearing a wristwatch, I don’t mean to trouble you, but it would really help me out to know what time it is.

Sorry, It’s not a real watch. It’s a bracelet that looks like a watch because I want to make some principled statement to the world, that we’re too busy keeping up with each other to slow down and just enjoy life.

Well, that’s stupid.

Yea, I guess so. Seemed like a good idea when I read about it online.

9 Likes

Get a job, hippies! … :smiley_cat:

Am I doing that right @Israel_B? :peace: :sake:

5 Likes

See now that’s a real piece of art! Valuable!

1 Like

I’m not quite sure what I should have expected on seeing the title. :laughing: But I’m guessing it was more like a sundial watch that incorporated one of those spherical compasses so it would be reasonably accurate without having to break out a spirit level every time you wanted to read the time.

Although a sundial watch with a pair of spirit levels and a … single plane compass would do the trick with less wasted space I guess?

I didn’t catch the date when I went to their page. Good catch, @dtrmcr.

I’ve been meaning to build a “watch” that doesn’t have a display or controls. It just buzzes at time intervals. Maybe in morse code though I’m not sold on that idea particularly. I have most of what I need to build a prototype (vibration motor, battery powered clock thingy, adafruit gemma … though without controls, I’d need at least one more piece to set the time in the first place) except not the time and energy right now.

(I guess I could fake it by programming something for my pebble time round but it would still require time and energy.)

Yeah, but how much did you pay for your “ultra-minimalist” watch? Surely more than the cheap $79?

I can picture the smug douche who’d pay $79 for this thing, so he can wear it in public and wait for someone to ask about it. In my mind, he has a gray ponytail and wire-frame glasses. He also drives a Leaf.

2 Likes

Me and my big mouth.

Maybe I’ll buy one of those games out of a gumball machine and duct tape it to my wrist.

2 Likes

It seems to me that everything always collapses, but people don’t always choose to notice. Like how a person might talk about “falling” whilst glossing over the current effects of gravitation upon them. If they aren’t floating away, they are still falling.

3 Likes

T S Eliot: “The Church is forever building, forever decaying and forever being restored”.
Herakleitus: “Everything flows”
A E Neuman: “What, me worry?”

3 Likes

And Brave Combo

1 Like

Okay, it’s just rural women of reproductive age (not pictured) reported dead, not collapsing.
I should wear a Humble Martin Shkreli VarietyPak/EMT-kickback.

How did she make it that far without a Tag Heuer?

Not more minimal than mine.

5 Likes

I see it is a hair past a freckle where you are. wow, i just had an elementary school flashback with that comment. lol.

5 Likes

“Two hairs past the pimple.”

2 Likes