The underlying horror of the rebooted Full House

Nice. I like that.
Another great dark one.

3 Likes

I will say Thank You when I find the Badass Easter Eggs. Not before.

for serious tho congrats!

5 Likes

The time is right for a reboot of Cybernetic Operational Optimized Knights of Science.

1 Like

I would watch the hell out of the show if this could happen.

2 Likes

Y’all are too kind.

But oh, how I wish I could comment more on this topic!

7 Likes

Whuuut? I didn’t have a TV for all but a year and a half or so of the 90’s & often only got to see things at friends houses or bars, but I remember it differently than you. Family Matters? aka Urkel? as best 90’s sitcom!? What about NewsRadio or Seinfeld or Fresh Prince or Roseanne or Roc or Murphy Brown or Will & Grace or Grace under fire or 3rd Rock from the Sun or any number of other shows that definitely trumped, with all respect to Urkel, Family Matters in any or all categories such as witty, subversive or clever or all of the above (for the 90’s)?

Family Matters!? I mean, c’mon, you do know that The Simpsons is a sitcom, right?

Even for cheese nominations it loses to other quintessentially 90’s shows like …well, whatever that Tim Allen show was called or Martin Lawrence’s show among many others.

I know it’s entirely subjective but you’d have to miss a lot of TV to find the Urkel show as representative of anything but an average 90’s “Here’s a gimmick character and supporting cast” show. I did miss a lot, to my benefit, I’ve seen more 90’s TV on computers sans commercials i.e. in this century than in the 90’s, but Family Matters?

4 Likes

Seinfeld is like Monty Python. You have to wade through hours of shit for the gems, diamonds though they be.

NewsRadio was meh, as were a dozen of its contemporaries.

Most of the time Roseanne was certainly better then meh or Full House, but nowhere near as good as Family Matters (which itself was merely fairly good).

Never heard of Roc.

Never saw Grace Under Fire.

Will & Grace and Fresh Prince were both close runners-up to Family Matters.

I consider The Simpsons to be a cartoon, though in its heyday it was vastly better than any sitcom.

Murphy Brown I’ll give you as being better, but not blown away better. I honestly hadn’t thought of it because it was such a different sitcom that I forgot it was one. Same goes for Frasier, which I could kick myself for omitting.

Home Improvement? Really? :joy:

3rd Rock From the Sun I flat out forgot about, but that’s the only one on your list that “trumps” Family Matters. I might watch a 3rd Rock remake. [All opinions expressed herein are personal and do not necessarily reflect the views of the network or any objective value system of the universe.]

Will and grace annoyed me because of the sociopathic B team (jack and whatshername.) Selfish narcicistic stuck up arrogant catty douchbags that embodied every single negative stereotype.

It killed any enjoyment I had for the show.

1 Like

You’ll want to stay away from Absolutely Fabulous then, speaking of good 90s sitcoms. (Family Matters? I have to assume @GulliverFoyle is trolling us.)

3 Likes

Sometimes I’ll watch something I enjoyed in my youth to see if it’s as good as I remembered. However I have had zero desire to see Full House ever again. I think I only ever watched it in the first place as a way to eat up a half hour of my interminable existence.

[quote=“L_Mariachi, post:29, topic:71052, full:true”]
You’ll want to stay away from Absolutely Fabulous then, speaking of good 90s sitcoms. (Family Matters? I have to assume @GulliverFoyle is trolling us.)
[/quote]Nope. I sincerely rank Family Matters among the better of the mediocrity that typified 90’s American sitcoms (while conceding that I was wrong to say it was the best, even in my own subjective evaluation and giving that position to 3rd Rock). Widening the scope to British television opens up a whole new palate.

So how about that font? I think it loses something on the black background without the drop shadows. Kind of 80s, but not going full-house 80s, as it were. Can I blame you?

1 Like

That’s a perfect description of this reboot.

2 Likes

You still have all my condolences.

May your next gig suck considerably less.

1 Like

Cute girls doing cute things <3

Improved with the power of music.

Where is the twisted soundtrack from? That is some perfect horror scoring.

Someone very analytical who somehow enjoyed Full House explained to me that the real art and craft of Full House went into how cute things were. So that’s what people watched for, and that’s what those behind the scenes worked so hard to create - just a barrage of utter cuteness with every thing as cute as possible.

Watching with that eye for an episode, I was able to see what she was saying and at least intellectually appreciate the craft involved.

It really can be very creepy though. Like a Thomas Kinkead painting come to a saccharine imitation of life. A dinner feast of an alabaster homonculus with the aspartame aftertaste of Armageddon.

2 Likes

…and the house overlooking Alamo Square now only cost 6 million U.S. dollars…and there are 30 other millionaires wanting to buy it while a homeless family lives in the park immediately across the street.

Ah. Perhaps then you’d like to create an APL programming firm with me. That way, when you summon an eldritch horror or two, you’ll know precisely where what your waking nightmare working life is coming from entails. (Bear in mind that Aunt Gracie is a charming old sociopath who has been known to lace the tea she serves with arsenic. Very old-fashioned she is - has never even heard of neurotoxins.)

More seriously, sitcoms in general are a good part of the reason why I haven’t owned a TV for a few decades. I don’t judge those who work on 'em - I was a trade magazine editor for quite a while, and you can well imagine the kind of articles that entailed. There is a certain challenge and craft to gilding shit, and I thoroughly enjoyed the work, even the 18-hour days in the week before we put the month’s issue to bed.

That being said, I don’t read trade journalism now, except for professional interest on the (very) odd occasion.

Not me. Blame Netflix’s marketing department.

The show itself employs quite tasteful drop shadows.

1 Like