The Women’s March on Washington was two or three times bigger than Trump’s inauguration

I got Alaska’s At-Large. I guess that’s sort-of one state over.

Don’t think it’s very swing-y either. Dude’s been in the job since 1973.

4 Likes

There are not too many of these, apparently.

Also, northern New England, most of Minnesota, and half of Iowa are apparently swing districts.

WA-8th should be a swing district, it reliably votes Dem for President but keeps electing a Republican to Congress - and he’s doing better each time. This year was a mess though, the Dem candidate dropped out of the race but then won the primary anyway.

2 Likes

@Shuck

IRC the half a million number is just the estimate for the number of people on the mall. That seems to be getting missed in the coverage. From what I’ve read weather made aerial photography difficult so they couldn’t exactly get proper shots to estimate crowd size for the whole city of DC. So half a million at the mall and hundreds of thousands in other parts of DC. LA is claiming they were almost as big as DC with an official number of 750k. The City of NY has put its “official” number at somewhere around 400k. And its pretty clear both events were smaller than DC.

So yeah 500k was never supposed to be the number for anything other than the number of people on the mall. Because photos to estimate total attendance aren’t available ATM. I don’t really see that detail getting included in the coverage. 2.6 million is the lower end of nationwide estimates. Other numbers I’ve seen are around 3 million. And these numbers are always underestimates. Because there’s no real way to get a totally accurate number, so the groups that calculate these things always er on the conservative side to compensate for short comings of the method. So it should always be “at least 2.6 million”. And its important to note that the lower threshold on these numbers have gone up with time to do better counts. The most conservative number as of yesterday was 2 million, with the higher conservative number being 2.9 million.

7 Likes

:gulp:

7 Likes

Uploading…

This is an important story to continue to follow. While, I won’t defend the people smashing windows and lighting stuff on fire, I would guess that a good majority of the 200 were caught in the wrong place at the wrong time exercising the 1st.

6 Likes

I see what you did there.

8 Likes

If this is what it takes to get Mr. Trump to stop tweeting, I wish we’d started six months ago.

2 Likes

“We need a leader, not a creepy tweeter.”
(Repeat until it’s time to do the “What does democracy look like” call and response.)

5 Likes

@jerwin

Those protesters would appear to be the ones arrested on the 20th during/after the inauguration. Not associated with the Women’s March. There were a number of groups of anarchist and “black bloc” protesters roaming DC on Friday that jumped right to smashing Starbuck’s windows and burning cars. Many of those protesters were arrested. And there seems to have been little if any of that on Saturday.

Reactions to these folks from other protesters and much of the left haven’t exactly been glowing. And I’m a bit surprised that none of them tried anything on Saturday.

4 Likes

sometimes, there is a temptation to act rashly. buoyed by the exuberance of the crowd.

1 Like

Well, DC is only around half a million residents, but the DC metro area is something like 6 million.

Anyway, even Trump’s own pulled-out-of-his-ass number of 1.5 million is lower than the estimate of 1.9 million for Obama in 2009. How Spicer can simultaneously say “we don’t have numbers” and “it’s the biggest ever” is beyond me.

I will grant that because the two photos were taken 1/2 hour apart, and there were security delays, more people filtered onto the mall later, but we were hearing estimates beforehand that it would have lower attendance, and stories of people having trouble trying to get rid of their tickets, so . . . .

2 Likes

Pleasantly surprised to see that in Dallas, of all places. And at a hockey game! Just about the last place I’d expect a sly dig at the Cheeto In Chief.

2 Likes

I can’t imagine why Trump’s PR team haven’t picked up that argument yet. “Yes, there was a smaller crowd, but that’s only because people thought our guy was a racist.”

2 Likes

There were a few of them around we noticed, people dressed up in dark, semi-military looking gear with face masks on. But maybe they picked up the real instigators on Friday and all that was left on Saturday were the ones who come along for the ride but don’t take violent action themselves. Saturday, all there was was goodwill and a lot of exuberance for what we were doing.

It’s pleasantly surprising. I’ve not heard one negative story. Figure you throw that many people together and someone’s gonna get pick pocketed or something.

Is it? Where does that indication come from? Everything I’ve seen online has indicated that L.A.'s crowd was largest. The possibly-biased L.A. Times put it:

Organizers had hoped for 80,000 and got as many as 750,000. Though some estimates were significantly lower, it appears that, even by conservative counts, more opponents of the new Trump administration turned out in LA than in any of the 650 other cities and towns that held similar gatherings over the weekend, including the key protest march on the Mall in Washington that drew half a million.

Source

2 Likes

Absolutely. I’ve been thinking this from the start, but why bring it up? Not my job to keep them from drowning. As far as I’m concerned the story is how thin-skinned the new regime is about it, and how it is literally too stupid to spin this in the most obvious way possible.

1 Like

Ten years is a long time for breaking a window. Domestic abusers get less than half that At most.

4 Likes