The Women’s March on Washington was two or three times bigger than Trump’s inauguration

Get used to it.

sighs heavily

5 Likes

At one point, when they announced at the Chicago rally that the march couldn’t happen because we’d already filled all the streets of the planned route anyway, some people started saying “let’s take over Lake Shore Drive instead!” (Very bad idea, for many reasons.) A good number even started walking that way. And then the rest of us pointed out that as a cause we wanted to stay within legal bounds, to show our intent without giving ammunition to the other side. The idea immediately fizzled. This was a group of people who, by definition, believed in wisdom, decency, and playing by the rules.

Around the world, the Women’s March protesters didn’t just talk the talk, they walked the walk.

10 Likes

My indication. Based on the fact that the DC number is only for those present on the mall. And the DC protest covered a hell of a lot more than just the mall. Like I said I haven’t seen a valid, official attempt to provide a number for all of DC. But the Metro ridership bears out that there were more people than just the 500k number. Metro ridership for the March was right around 1 million last Saturday. The second highest ever recorded. Its beat out by Obama’s first inauguration at 1.1 million. Obama’s Inauguration apparently attracted 1.8 million people. Lower estimates for that event put it just over 1 million. The parking and traffic situations from what little I’ve seen likewise look closer to the at least a million Obama event then anything else.

My point was largely that there’s very good reason to think the DC event was quite a bit larger than the 500k counted from photos of the mall. But that at the moment we lack a total count.

Know what I loved about Saturday? The rally and march I attended in San Francisco started at 3pm because an anti-abortion group had already scheduled a rally for earlier in the day. They were leaving just as the people from the women’s march were showing up, yet everything remained peaceful and civil. Some groups from the two sides even sang to each other.

7 Likes

Qualitatively , not quantitatively.

3 Likes

Trump still thinks the 3/5ths Compromise is a “thing”?

2 Likes

Smaller is just alt-bigger.

3 Likes

I heard that a good number of “anti-abortion feminists” (yeah, yeah, I know) stuck around for the Trump protest. They’re not all that enamored of him either.

5 Likes

Long as it wasn’t the closing refrains of “Killing in the Name,” one hopes!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.