The world is putting America in quarantine

You just reminded me, I’ve wanted to buy a copy of that for a while.

2 Likes

The land of toxic individualism.

12 Likes

The People’s Republic of lumps in my oatmeal…

2 Likes

That is the perfect description. I’m using that.

2 Likes

TIL: I never knew what the musical composition that accompanied the Merry Melodies shorts was called until today. Grazie for spreading the knowledge. :slight_smile:

"Every great empire that ever existed eventually failed... especially if it was based upon a crumbling infrastructure."

~ Unknown ad on the side of a city bus 20 years ago.
11 Likes

You can travel, but you will need to isolate for two weeks before you are allowed to join the fun.

If the country can gather enough self-awareness, then it will really sink in what’s at stake. The will for big changes will arise, and the rest will flow from there.

I like a good comeback story. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

It usually goes together.

1 Like

Like many other expats, this ruins any plans I had for returning home for a visit. Or rather, I can simply plead off requests to come home with the Quarantine.

6 Likes

Prego!

2 Likes

Nah, the country’s fine, it’s those running it, and their supporters that are the problem. Get rid of them, and everything’s rosy.
Bit like here in the U.K., really…

Which was pretty much the case at the time. A million - A FUCKING MILLION - people went out on the streets to protest about UK going to war in Iraq and Blair just ignored it. Backlash came a lot later - too late for Iraq. And it gave us over a decade of Tory fucking austerity.

Yup. And isn’t it funny just how quiet Princess Tony is these days! Although, with the considerable fortune he’s made from his speech making, he can afford to keep his head below the parapet.

1 Like

Thanks for posting that, it had slipped my mind, despite the fact that I read all the books in sequence last year - which is a lot of words, and my memory is really not what it was!

1 Like

The media certainly makes it look like half the country is out of its mind. The political parties make it look like a 50/50 split.

Opinion polls typically put it at 70% in favor of taxing the rich, gun control, single payer healthcare… and now, public health measures to control the virus.

But having 30% of america dragging down the majority with superstition and bigotry, doesn’t make for a good narrative, so every trick in the book is used to fluff it up to seem like half.

Who wants this? The 1%.

6 Likes

That’s an old Adriano Celentano number.

2 Likes

Pretty much the highest acheivement of Jean Chretien was to use (gasp) international law to keep us out of that spiralling shitshow. Of course our local conservatives went ballistic - though strangely when they took power a few years later they had little stomach for ‘correcting’ that decision (once all the happy clappy WMD/providing democracy and freedom bullshit became obvious for what it was to even a Conservative).

9 Likes

The US has now been shifted into the same place in my mind as Honduras or South Africa. I like them, they are geographically and culturally wonderful, but I have little desire to expose myself to the risk inherent in a visit to any of them any time soon.

1 Like

Not likely. Mexico (which I dearly love) is fucked. AMLO is being just as obtuse as Tramp.

1 Like

Meh, I was just roughing it from the 2016 popular vote results.

To be more specific, 46.1% of this country were out of their fucking minds in 2016.

Hopefully your numbers are correct, and roughly only 30% are dragging us down, but they’re doing a fantastic job of it by all accounts. The real question is whether or not it matters if it’s 30% or 50% if they’re so successful at ruining things for everyone else…

That was 46.1% of registered voters who bothered to vote or were allowed to vote without suppression. Tramp won by about 77k votes in 3 counties. Blame them. Or he won with a rigged system, as he claimed it was. He should have refused victory. Oh, the humanity!

2 Likes

If someone takes a dump in the bathtub, someone else shits in the kitchen sink, and the whole house smells of it, any visitor to the house is going to think that the whole house is full of shit.

2 Likes