Theme from Friends as a depressing, minor-key ballad

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/06/theme-from-friends-as-a-depres.html

2 Likes

Sounds a teen angsty drama. My daughter loves old Friends. She’d love this new Friends show, too! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I remember being stuck in second gear.

8 Likes

If anyone asks what the show is about, you can always say “it’s about a group of people in their late 30s who are unable to put their aimless 20something lifestyles behind them even as they struggle with unemployment, divorce and estranged family members.”

5 Likes

“That one about the time no one had anything traumatic going on”

5 Likes

That’s the way the Theme tune ought to have been. Was I the only one who felt that the original idea was that all the main characters were to be gay?

Huh, that would fit right in as an '80s hair-metal ballad…

It’s not complete until he adds the handclaps!

3 Likes

So, given Ross’ anxiety in the happy version, is this the one where he’s clinically depressed? Not sure I want to see that.

1 Like

To say nothing of Phoebe’s traumatic backstory:

I remember when I first came to this city, I was 14. My mom had just killed herself and my stepdad was back in prison. And I got here and I didn’t know anybody. And I ended up living with this albino guy who was, like, cleaning windshields outside Port Authority. And then he killed himself. And then I found aromatherapy.

5 Likes

Yeah, I don’t want to have this evolve into flaggable “mental illness” replies, but I’m thinking of all the people who had serious issues on a supposedly “fun” sitcom. Fun Bobby, The Guy Who Lives Downstairs, etc.

1 Like

His channel is great!

4 Likes

Shit, that sounds like my life… facepalmsobs

3 Likes

I always liked

which was featured on “Scrubs” many many moons ago…
1 Like

The greatest minorization of a happy song:

Although I now realize there are adults who have no idea what the “Friday” song is.

3 Likes

Jeebuz!
He’s a lovely voice.

1 Like

I dont hate this. Nice.

3 Likes

Isn’t it depressing enough in its regular key?

4 Likes
4 Likes

I was reminded more of Evanescence or Nightwish. You know the type, the goth/metal with the power female lead.

4 Likes