There are no humans in Star Wars, so what are the creatures we are watching?

Among other things…

1 Like

When I was around 6 and saw Star Wars, I said the same thing, and my dad explained that this is a galaxy a far, far away, so they’re actually speaking some alien language, but the movie is telling us this story that happened a long time ago and subbing in English to make it easier to understand.

13 Likes

Some people cite 2001: A Space Oddysey as a more realistic depiction of space travel since there isn’t any sound from the spaceships but frankly I don’t see how you’d be able to hear a full orchestra playing Richard Strauss compositions either.

29 Likes

If you want a good, satisfying story about clones and international political struggles having to do with clones, C.J. Cherryh wrote the definitive story with Dowbelow Station and Cyteen and all the sequels. Those clones may not be entirely human, but they’re definitely people. It’s satisfyingly different from what we know on this planet.

In Star Wars, the fighter planes make arodynamic moves in vacume, lots of noise, and no one wears a space suit. Theres only so far you can go with the science.

9 Likes

Disco biscuits? The real ones say “Rorer 714,” I’ve heard.

2 Likes

I’m still waiting for Jesus to show up in an Avengers movie.

5 Likes

tumblr_m9qifmFgHT1qzvl4eo1_500

15 Likes

right now i’m reminding myself of that guy who is busy dying and got to see Ep 9 ahead of schedule, and all the sweet support he is getting from other SW fans. take your insect theory and feed it to a Sarlacc.

7 Likes

I can…

Depends on your definition of “nice things”…

1 Like
9 Likes

Maybe the DNA, er, I mean, midichlorians, only have a fairly standard number of ways they physically manifest themselves as lifeforms, so on a planet with generally Earth-like conditions, you might end up with something that looks more or less like a human from Earth.

Or, there could be a seed race, like in Star Trek.

4 Likes

You have no idea

And to think, I hesitated

2 Likes

That would be from the earbuds you have blasting to make up for the intense boredom of longer distance space travel.

4 Likes

There’s a line in one of the books where a dwarf says “If we dig any deeper I’m scared we’ll hit an elephant!”

4 Likes

They’re essentially furries with a strong tradition of espionage and are often employed as security forces.

Bothan

11 Likes

Ummm … the two-headed sportscaster creature at the podrace in Episode One quite explicitly refers to contestant Anakin Skywalker as a "human being".
And, while I think that phrasing is clunky as heck and takes you right out of the fantasy, none the less there it is: spoken out loud in one of the core movies, so it’s canon. Deal with it.

7 Likes

Not to mention the mass of expanded universe stuff outside the movies that all use the term human.

1 Like

ah, but you forget. if they’re not speaking english, then the translation is up for grabs. since human actors are playing the roles – it makes more sense to use that word than something made up ( or even some close phoneme match ) since the average viewer would have no reference otherwise.

( of course, a better translation might have been to have used the word “boy” – but that’s the least of the movie’s many flaws. )

10 Likes

The title card tells us that the story takes place long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

No one I know happily accepts Lucas’s silly premises, dialogue, and ethnicized alien characters …so why take his title card seriously? To me, GL is only good for the on-screen eye-candy.

3 Likes