There's a giant geodesic dome floored with fake grass in NYC

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/21/theres-a-giant-geodesic-dome.html

1 Like

Two men enter!
One man leaves!

5 Likes

I question how many remote country fields the artist has been in at dusk.

6 Likes

His piece is called dusk-space and it’s an immersive synthetic environment meant to “recreate the experience of being in a remote country field at dusk.”

From the description, it misses synthetic cow pads, the smell of assorted manure and fresh timber, the distant hum of diesel-powered farm machinery, at least one barking dog, the barely perceptible emissions from an illegal distillery, the tactile sensations of stumbling through the tyre marks of a tractor, a muffled squeal from behind the haystack…

8 Likes

Plus bugs, so many bugs.

3 Likes
2 Likes

“Farming Simulator” and “Highlights”?

Actually, yes!
(When Fafa and Mario play and comment.)

2 Likes

I hope that everyone who comes will enjoy the simple pleasure of lying in a field on a warm summer night looking up at the stars

Except in real life i have to worry about chiggers, ticks, mosquitoes, fire ants, etc when i go lay down in a real field.

2 Likes

Cities need more artificial real spaces to help with heat islands, run off, oxygen & air filtration.

5 Likes

I’ve watched some of Squirrel’s “European Bus Simulator” videos on youtube. They are oddly hypnotic.

2 Likes

All hail William Gibson, Prophet and Seer of The Way.

1 Like

Don’t for get snakes. They love hiding under hay bales.

Also:

“That’s no geodesic dome - that’s a Thunderdome!”

1 Like

Will there be a shuttle service using Dymaxion cars?

2 Likes

And in winter you can put some tarps over it and spraypaint the turf white to get the real igloo simulater

…so, so many bug bites…

Finally! We city folk can experience what it’s like to be in a green space without having to resort to visiting one of our many, extensive, conveniently located parks.

Maybe it’s just because I live in the South, but everyone is missing the 100% humidity where you are dripping in sweat because it can’t evaporate. And in spring/early summer there are no soft cricket chirps, it’s the deafing roar of cicadas or after a rain, tree frogs.

Winter is nice. When the lows are in the teens it is super quiet, maybe a distant airplane.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.