These 10 portable projectors will liven up your home theater

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/26/these-10-portable-projectors-will-liven-up-your-home-theater.html

1 Like

I want to know how they can project darkness onto an illuminated white wall.

1 Like

Do I really need 10 portable projectors though?

Some caveats for those trying to interpret the specs:

“HD” projectors are capable of accepting a high-def video signal as input. But it does not mean that the image is projected at a high-def resolution (e.g., 720i or 1080p). You have to check the “native resolution” field in the specs to see what the display technology is capable of. This is true of all video projectors, but especially of the small (pico/nano/mini) portable projectors.

Not all of the boingboing store listings are showing a native resolution, so check the manufacturer’s site for specs.

“nHD” is only 640x360 pixels (less than an old VGA screen). It’s one-ninth of a 1920x1080 pixel image (which is what most people consider high def).

The boingboing store is listing many of the throw ratios as three numbers, like 1:2:1. This appears to be a data entry error–that first colon was probably supposed to be a decimal point, as in 1.2:1.

The throw ratio is the distance between the projector and the screen divided by the “size of the image,” where “size of the image” is supposed to be the width but is sometimes advertised using the diagonal size. If the throw ratio is 1.2:1, for example, then you’d need to put the projector 14.4 inches back from the screen to get and image that’s 12 inches wide.

The farther you move the projector back, the larger the (and dimmer) the image will be. When the manufacturer lists an upper bound on the image size, this is usually an arbitrary determination based on how dim the image would be at that size. (A lower bound, if given, is based on the shortest distance the projector can focus.)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.