These Cubs World Series plates are the perfect reminder that anything can happen

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/01/13/these-cubs-world-series-plates.html

Did someone send the StackSocial to the wrong site again?

This product is possibly the strangest thing I’ve seen advertised here, given the demographics of those who visit this site.

Plus, these “plates” are ugly as fuck and I’d be embarrassed to send them to my cubs fan relatives.

2 Likes

I just may be the closest thing to a sports fan here, and I am absolutely not a Cubs fan. It’s bad enough I’ll have to listen to Cubs fan smugness for the next however long. Yeah, we get it, your team won a World Series this century, you’re so awesome. I certainly don’t want to hang this smugness in my den or office.

2 Likes

We need to send these to @chgoliz.

5 Likes

/cringes and runs away in horror!!!

8 Likes

The Cubs aren’t special anymore.

6 Likes

As a Leicester City fan, 108 years does not impress me…

8 Likes

What was Leicester City’s drought? 132 years?

2 Likes

Yep. All of the years. Although nobody’s won the second division more times.

The Cubs are an older team than LCFC though, since they’ve only been around since 1884 (I think they should go back to being Leicester Fosse, personally).

2 Likes

The Cubs have been around for 8 more years than Leicester City, but they have only been called the Cubs since 1903. They were the White Stockings from 1876 through 1889, the Colts from 1890 until 1897, and the Orphans from 1898 until 1902.

1 Like

I’m a Cleveland fan, you insensitive clod!

3 Likes

Hang on. The plates are from the Chicago Tribune’s story the day after?

Didn’t they report this as “Cleveland defeats Truman”

4 Likes

This fucking screenshot of Trump winning the election is the perfect reminder that anything bad can happen. at any time. to anyone or anything you care about.

3 Likes

I’ve always liked printing press artifacts.

But not a sports fan.

1 Like

Well, I’m actually a baseball fan (maybe not a fan of all sports in general), and I rooted for the Cubs this year, but collectible sports memorabilia don’t mean squat to me.

The game happened, I enjoyed watching it, but I don’t see the point in reliving it via some commemorative wall-hanging (I can’t even call it “art.”)

3 Likes

X-posted to BBS Sports subforum.

Wait. Wut?

1 Like

132 years, but in a sense, it was “forever”, as the Foxes had never won a title in their history.

1 Like

How soon we forget Steve Claridge and Matt Elliott. Did those League Cups mean nothing?

1 Like

I’m more offended by the crappy photoshopping going on in the picture of this hanging on the wall. That frame should be approx 2’x4’. In real life it would look smaller, much smaller, than what the picture attempts to portray.

But no, my offense definitely does not rise to the level of disappointment.

Geez-a-lou, stacksocial… If you’re gonna pitch this whatever the hell it is, at least be honest about it.

2 Likes

White Sox won in 2005.

2 Likes