These psychonauts are in training to take DMT trips that last hours or even days and report back... for science

Originally published at: These psychonauts are in training to take DMT trips that last hours or even days and report back… for science | Boing Boing

3 Likes
9 Likes

11 Likes

Guild Navigators :eyes:

18 Likes

Well that all sounds highly dubious and like a bad repeat of 1960’s views on LSD and how it would unlock the brain.

11 Likes

Mmmmmm. . . . “Macro-dosing.”

9 Likes

Also this…

13 Likes

Intravenous? Make a transdermal patch!

10 Likes

Always wanted to meet the Machine Elves, but have never found a trustworthy source for DMT. It seems like it would be the perfect psychedelic: intense experience, but short-lived, so exit is just around the corner if things get too weird. The 10-12 hour trips from e.g. LSD put me off ever trying THAT again.

11 Likes

If…and it’s a huge IF this project actually does get off the ground, I would think a trip around the moon would be an ideal place to take DMT, what with the weightlessness and proximity to the celestial bodies and all. Wildly underwhelmed with the “crew” he selected. Dear Moon

1 Like

somehow I missed my life’s calling. =/

3 Likes

Floating in an enclosed capsule, surrounded by the vacuum of space, while tripping.
Not for the faint of heart.

6 Likes

I just had this thought the other day. People claim that a type of endogenous DMT is released by the human brain when we die (surprisingly I can’t find any reliable citations for that after a cursory look – just citation chaining) but if that’s true, then what if that DMT is a release mechanism, like explosive bolts or a kind of “lubricant” to allow whatever we are to slip easily out of spacetime or whatever?

And we’re able to return back to the thing that we actually are? Like what if our “soul” is really a tentacular sensory organ of some godlike multi-dimensional entity, and it dips that sensory organ into the spacetime of our reality (maybe for the novel thrill of experiencing a bit of human drama?)

And by taking a big long hit of that DMT out of a crack pipe (or IV drip, or a night of ayahuasca vomiting, or boofing toad venom), we’re “unintentionally” releasing that sensory tentacle still coated with human consciousness where it briefly flops about in that HIGHER reality giving us a brief look into that plane, before we get stuffed back into our spacetime human souls.

7 Likes

Hello. We appreciate you having to fold space to get here.

6 Likes

Joey, slowly disconnect and step away from the IV.
:wink:

6 Likes

Oh, fine. I’ll do it.

2 Likes

Do you want evil Carl Sagan? Because that’s how you get evil Carl Sagan.

5 Likes

This seems… unethical.

So can you paint/sculpt/doodle/write while on this stuff, or do you have to just memorize bits and hope to have those with you a while after? Also hey, The New Republic (reborn as TNR,) how about that.

2 Likes

BB article made me think of:

“How long alone with your thoughts in an endless field of white? And then, when a billion eternities have passed, the crashing return of light and form and body. Who wouldn’t go insane?“.

• Stephen King “The Jaunt”

I feel the “time dilation” from essentially being in an unguided(?) dream state for a month would make for a terrible re-entry back to this time/plane. The “apparent reality experience” of this dream would be on the order of lifetimes!

But what do I know?

I applaud this if done with great thoughtful preparation and real scientific scrutiny/controls/detail/etc. However, if this is just fad corporate bandwagon-jumping, well, “you go first” then.
(Ive got to go read the whole article :grimacing:)

1 Like