Thieves steal golden toilet

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/14/thieves-steals-golden-toilet.html

4 Likes

odds on it being melted down already.

20 Likes

Perfect metaphor for the toilet’s namesake

19 Likes

Police are making enquiries, but say they are not confident of apprehending those responsible, because they have nothing to go on.

49 Likes

A pretty shitty situation all around, and not a pot to piss in.

16 Likes

“Precious pissoir” is an adorable phrase.

10 Likes

Marvin, I found the guy who shat in your tuba!

7 Likes

I just saw this in my newsfeed, though the lede there was that it was stolen from Winston Churchill’s birthplace.

O_o

4 Likes

“I… I did what? I took a dump in your tuba? Oh, God - he said sit in with the band!”

5 Likes

Technically true.

1 Like

I can see the thieves taking a celebratory “joy-ride” dump in the toilet before the meltdown. I mean… why not.

3 Likes

And yet, not really relevant info.

1 Like

There is nothing about the events of this story, or anyone’s subsequent reaction, that was not exactly the sort of thing that Maurizio Cattelan would have intended. All of this is just part of the life of the piece, without contradiction.

Also see:

2 Likes

That sure is a shitty thing to do.

4 Likes

I am reminded of an event (pre-Banksy) where Martin Mull couldn’t get galleries in Chicago to show his art so he and friends sent out printed invitations (on toilet paper) and then held a guerilla art opening in the washrooms of some big arse gallery (complete with little plastic cups of wine and cubes of cheese) after rushing in and installing all the pieces.

The show was called: Flush With The Walls - or - I’ll Be Art In A Minute

21 Likes

Poor Trump. That’s his prized Tweet throne.

6 Likes

But do I really need another one?

4 Likes

Maurizio Cattelan is all about the heist.

In 1996, in the framework of an exhibition at the Appel Arts Center of Amsterdam, Cattelan stole the work of an artist exhibited in a next door gallery, packing everything and presenting it as his own work, “Another Fucking Readymade”.

and…

Maurizio Cattelan

152 x 62 x 63

By re-presenting a safe which has been broken into as a sculptural work of art, Maurizio Cattelan has taken the idea of the ‘Readymade’ one stage further, by cleverly highlighting the criminal nature of this activity as outright theft. ‘-76.000.000’ is a real broken safe from which 76 million lire was stolen. In the broken safe, Maurizio Cattelan has ingeniously discovered a metaphor for the bankruptcy of ideas in post-modern communication, or what Roland Barthes termed “The Death of the Author”.

4 Likes

It’s sad to see people flush their life away for some easy money.

4 Likes

…and it’s driving them round the bend!

4 Likes