Thieves stole $100,000 in dimes off a truck in a Walmart parking lot

Paging Joey Coyle!

5 Likes

Cops need to put surveillance on every Coinstar machine in the area !

4 Likes

I wonder how long it would take to put all those dimes through a coinstar. Plus you’d have to go to a lot of them, I can see the machine filling up pretty quickly

4 Likes

Depending on the vintage (mintage?) of the dimes there could have been just a few of them.

6 Likes

Considering they just came from the Philadelphia Mint, I would guess they were “freshly minted” and not co-mingled with the existing circulating dimes.

1 Like

Check the hospitals for hernia-related emergencies.

4 Likes

Seems odd that if a truck is loaded with $750,000 in cash it would be left unguarded while the driver toddled home to sleep.

Edited to say, I used the word “odd” when I really meant “stupid.”

3 Likes

Northeast Detectives say it’s not unusual for thieves to break into trailers just to see what they can find.

adam levine nbc GIF by The Voice

4 Likes

Yep, just did the math. 1 dime = 2.268 grams, according to the US Mint. $100k = 1 M dimes = 2.2680 metric tonnes. I checked an online unit converter and got:

• 260.69 adult badgers
  • 1.512 skateboarding rhinoceri
  • and if you must have Imperial units: 357.156 stone, which is 80 028 oz.

It’s a lot of dimes.

Edit: math is hard.

7 Likes
3 Likes

Ooh, there’s gotta be a couple of pre-1965 silver dimes in there. Maybe even some Mercury dimes!

1 Like

$100,000 = 1,000,000 dimes (ten dimes per dollar). So 2.268 metric tonnes

7 Likes

Thanks! Got carried away with decimal places.

So only 260.69 adult badgers

5 Likes

I distrust your maths.

Not least because I don’t think even an imperial adult badger would weigh 8.7 metric tonnes.

5 Likes

Lol. Invisible decimal point. It was wrong anyway, but should have read 22 POINT 680 tonnes. :slight_smile:

But as @NukeML pointed out, it’s 2.268 T, or 260.69 badgers (adult).

2 Likes
2 Likes

2 Likes

I mean, 11.9% is a better rate than most money launderers will charge you. :man_shrugging:

Go Do It GIF by Saturday Night Live

7 Likes

What? An African or European badger?

4 Likes

I feel like that would be really, really hard to spend. Like, seriously, if you had $1000 in dimes, how would you spend or deposit it and not draw attention to yourself, unless you had some other business that dealt in a lot coins. And even then, usually that’s quarters.

2 Likes