Thin-skinned Iowa lawmaker hangs up the phone on reporter who asked about his "anti-coddling" bill

My wife previously worked at a dentist office where the dentist had his labradoodle trained as a therapy dog. The dog would sit chair side and hold the patients hand. We visited the dentist at his home on a regular basis and one time I was super stressed (but thought I was keeping it to myself). As soon as I sat down he came over and just gave me the biggest dog hug ever and I really did feel my stress level go down. Normally when we came over he would grab a toy and want to play but it seems like he could sense I was off that day.

11 Likes

I don’t like the term “wellness”. There, I said it.

10 Likes

True American Patriots!

Ooh, I’ll play!

“Why, my dear friend Euthyphro, if this hot dog is not a sandwich, then surely this lobster roll is likewise not a sandwich? Nor this cheese steak?”

5 Likes

ahem

7 Likes

Edit: @cah already got there. Should have finished reading comments first

4 Likes

3rd: people don’t think they have rights to the knowledge, skills, and information that physically resides in their heads. As opposed to the idiot billionaires who claim absolute, exclusive ownership over knowledge they couldn’t even squat upon, they’re so ignorant.

5 Likes

Reality Strikes Back then The Return of Reality of course…

2 Likes

It reminds me of the Rush Limbaugh clip that Dan Savage has played where Rush sneers at the concept of consent in sexual relationships. (In a “Can you believe this is what some people think is important?!” way.) These people want to live in a toxic hellscape.

15 Likes

The reason some people are bothered by safe spaces is because they believe that only certain kinds of people should feel entitled to security.

12 Likes

“If you’re afraid to talk to me, ok. Jimmy, we got a bumper ready for this? News so serious, Rep Bobby Kaufman is afraid to talk to us.”

14 Likes

Also the same soft-skins who demand “Merry Christmas” accompany them wherever they go.

8 Likes

Not in the world we live in, sadly.

1 Like

But where do they stand on ketchup on hot dogs?

15 Likes

As a lawmaker, does he also consider whatever, to him, occurs as mental health? I think what we have been seeing is an attempt to re-define that which can be legally enacted upon. When Kauffman was asked about how this law would be enforced, actual policy questions about it, he was the one who was offended. Equally, when asked about his policy on NPR, he hung up. Imagine that; the questions of finding out tangible facts about his policy is an “agenda”, again, as he defines it. Kauffman lists his primary concerns as Iowan land and property ownership. I think he should stick with what he knows and leave mental health services to those more appreciative of what it constitutes.

10 Likes

I’m a dirty foreigner, not capable of understanding your superior American ways.

Can any of you explain to me why the fact that you have a legislator that presents a law that he himself calls “Suck it up, Buttercup” doesnt inmediatly end with the whole legislative body he is in laughing their asses off or telling him to grow the fuck up?

16 Likes

Or Children of Reality and God Trumperor of Reality.

2 Likes

That they are evil I can understand.

That they seem to aim for Cobra Commander levels of maturity is another thing.

5 Likes

Thank God there’s only two sides to every issue.

For me or agin’ me!

4 Likes

Because enough of the legislature on both sides of the aisle share meaning and narrative with him on this subject that it doesn’t seem farcical at first glance. They’d have to question an assumption they already share before they could be incredulous about his legislation.

4 Likes