Things about 2017 that don't suck

Oregon and Washington both have higher rates of Melanoma than California, and as far as I know there is no consensus on why. I’m pretty sure the OHSU Knight Cancer Institute has been researching it. I have heard some speculation about UV rays penetrating the cloud layer but visible light not, thus creating an illusion of not needing sunscreen… but I’m not sure that theory holds any water.

4 Likes

Is sunscreen not a habit there? Clouds are no match to UV rays.

3 Likes

Nope.

2 Likes

This does not fuel my optimism the day after a nevus on my cheek was surgically removed. ETA: Worse yet, the nurse who presided over my surgery confirmed the high rates of melanoma up here when I asked her.

1 Like

Can I have a few days of sunshine here? This feels like endless winter to an adapted California boy. We haven’t had three consistent days of sunshine since we got here.

4 Likes

Absolutely, send some of that culture over here and I’ll get that sunshine packed right up and on its way!

Here’s a free sample of what you will be receiving:

6 Likes

What is happening on Sunday?

2 Likes

fog/smog? 

3 Likes

We’re going to be under water from all of this fucking rain? :slight_smile:

Actually I think that’s supposed to be fog. They have this thing here where it gets foggy then the fog freezes and just stays suspended in the air and it feels weird as you move through it.

A couple of weeks ago I walked to work and had ice crystals in my facial hair by the time I got there.

10 Likes

So, is Bruges a shithole or is it not a shithole?

2 Likes

I got extended through end of 2017. I’m a contractor by choice, and would have found something I’m sure – but it’s nice that I don’t have to think about it for another 9-10 months.

9 Likes

What are you on about? It’s one of the nicest small cities on earth! We left San Diego-- another very fine city-- to come here.

You still haven’t watched that film, have you?

5 Likes

Chloë: There’s never been a classic movie made in Bruges until now.
Ray: Of course there hasn’t. It’s a shithole.
Chloë: Bruges is my home town, Ray.
Ray: Well, it’s still a shithole.
Chloë: It’s not a shithole!
Ray: What? Even midgets have to take drugs to stick it.
Chloë: Okay. So, you’ve insulted my home town. You were doing really well, Raymond. Why don’t you tell me some Belgium jokes while you’re at it?
Ray: Don’t know any Belgium jokes, and if I did I think I’d have the good sense not to… hang on. Is Belgium with all those child abuse murders lately? I do know a Belgium joke. What’s Belgium famous for? Chocolates and child abuse, and they only invented the chocolates to get to the kids.
[Ray sees Chloë’s shocked expression]
Ray: What?
Chloë: One of the girls they murdered was a friend of mine.
Ray: [after a long pause, feeling bad] I’m sorry, Chloë.
Chloë: One of the girls they murdered wasn’t a friend of mine. I just wanted to make you feel bad. And it worked! Quite well.

Ray: Bruges is a shithole.
Ken: Bruges is not a shithole.
Ray: Bruges is a shithole.
Ken: Ray, we only just got off the fucking train! Could we reserve judgement on Bruges until we’ve seen the fucking place?

7 Likes

Well… it was playing, and I was present and awake, but I found the premise odd, the acting wooden, and it didn’t engage me. I didn’t particularly enjoy it. Though it’s unusual to see places you go to as movie sets. They look weird. The lab I manage has several minutes of screen time as a backdrop to one scene. I take it that’s supposed to be one of the memorable takeaway lines from the film?

3 Likes

I so agree. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds like northern France past week.
The trees looked gorgeous though.

7 Likes

Just to sweeten the pot I’m going to throw a few sunsets in that box too.

9 Likes

We had a freezing fog in November. It looked like this:

And the spiderweb was pretty groovy:

11 Likes

I happen to love Bruges – we visited on a day when everything was frozen, and I could imagine a great skating race along the canal surrounding the city and under the bridges.

8 Likes