Think of the Karens

Also, “Karen” is a racist term. But it’s one people are ok with somehow.

Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

20 Likes

Show me on the doll where the Manager hurt you.

22 Likes

Isn’t it galling when some one conflates mild criticism for social misbehavior with centuries of explicit legally enforced racial oppression?

16 Likes

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

9 Likes
6 Likes

15 Likes

I don’t want to be ok with racist terms. I’ve only ever heard Karen used to describe women, or occasionally men, who use privilege and entitlement to harass other people. I guess you’re saying it means something else too? Which race is hurt by using it? :worried:

13 Likes
7 Likes

Here is a Karen escalating to a Sharon and very much on the way to being a Jane or a Samantha…

Women’s names are funny /s

Y’all, can we please stop calling people who complain “Karen”? I mean, unless it is their actual name? I know several real world folks named Karen, and this seriously hurts them everytime they see it. Plus it feeds into a misogynistic stereotype. Thanks!

Three years and 200+ posts later the answer is “No.”

17 Likes

Maybe when other white women stop being assholes.

Come On Reaction GIF by NBA

14 Likes

Wow! We’ve never heard that before. Now that it’s been explained to us for the very first time, we’ll have to…

At First I No GIF by Lil Yachty

13 Likes

I know several real-world folks named Richard, and they do not appreciate the dick jokes.
And don’t even get me started on people named Brandon and how we can no longer tell them to go.
/s

9 Likes

12 Likes

I’ve asked this of previous posters and never gotten an answer, so I’m not optimistic, but hope springs eternal, so I’ll try again.
My name could be used as a slur, but if I saw it used that way, I would know they weren’t talking about me. So I legitimately don’t understand how this new cultural meme is “seriously hurting” people who happen to have that name. Can you clarify?

13 Likes

Denk’ ich an Karens in der Nacht,
dann bin ich um den Schlaf gebracht.

– Heinrich Heine, possibly

7 Likes

There once was a lady named Karen,
Her name became used as a swearin’,
But it never occurred,
That it referred to her,
‘Cuz she’s kind, respectful and caring.

23 Likes

You’re a Dick, aren’t you?

Off topic - Did you see the clip of the Satanic Temple gathering in Scottsdale? There’s a guy who had his name legally changed because his given name was “Dick Tingler”!

10 Likes