Think of the Karens

Written as someone who has never had the police called on them for [doing x completely normal thing] while being [y minority group]

30 Rock Eye Roll GIF by TV Land Classic

23 Likes

She’s a racist because of the content of her complaint. She’s a Karen for making such a ridiculous complaint to begin with.

I know it sucks for people named Karen, but that’s just how language works. Just ask people named Dick.

19 Likes

Nope; it’s not.

When White women with privilege are being jailed & killed just for being named Karen, then it will be “similar.”

Until then…

23 Likes

No Way Do Not Want GIF by Schitt's Creek

13 Likes

No it’s not.

For all your hand-wringing over Karen needs:

15 Likes

Or Matt? I feel like Matt is just the kind of guy you can walk all over. I’m sure they are getting mad about it.

Also, it just occurred to me that we should rename lazy susans. At least the Susans have the good sense not to complain about it.

11 Likes

And black-eyed susans.

10 Likes

Oh, shit! What if the Susans don’t speak up because they’re so lazy and cowed??? Free the Susans!

12 Likes

x + y = Karen

World’s easiest math problem.

8 Likes

Queued to correct point I hope.

7 Likes

9 times out of 10 when some one starts worrying about the word “karen” it’s in a context that darvos a situation where a racist white woman harmed some one else.

Reminds me of the Streisand effect and… well… now should all the other Streisands feel bad about themselves because of Barbra?

16 Likes

From the school of “yes, and,” yes, and, 10 times out of ten that I’ve seen it, the people raising the concern are totally uninterested in any actual conversation about it. They pop up on a thread saying it’s hurtful to real people, but any time I’ve asked for more context or clarity about how this is truly hurting anyone, or when I’ve seen others eloquently explain how, no, it’s not at all similar to these racist examples, it’s radio silence.

16 Likes

mood GIF

Ignoring the fact that so is whatever shitty thing the “Karen” did… and that no one is saying all white women, but instead, we mean a specific behavior…

11 Likes
3 Likes

Semi-off topic but has there been any good sort of journalistic cultural analysis of the “Karen” in media today? Has there ever been any explanation for why this image is so prevalent recently in particular? Were white women always like this? Or is this a specific phenomenon related to our current times?

3 Likes

YES! Fucking YES! White women have always been handmaids to white supremacy. A good deal of the lost cause monuments that are found across the south were from the daughters of the confederacy. Many white suffragists made explicitly racist arguments to gain voting rights. White women on plantations could be just as brutal as white men.

YES. White women can be racist as fuck.

23 Likes

My 2 cents is of course that, yes, they have always been this way. But also the Karen phenomenon is only recent, because someone came up with an amusing name for it, which went viral.

Not unlike the variety of bad dating behaviors which we now have names for. The behaviors themselves are not new for the most part (except where they involve social media).

10 Likes

Yeah, I think this is what I was interested in. Must be the virality. I think they’ve always been this way, but just wondering how their behaviors have been pushed to the side of history until now.

2 Likes

A huge part of it is that the history we’re taught (or at least what I was taught) was written and approved by the ones who profited by pushing this behavior to the side.

14 Likes

Reposting, because it’s funny and relevant;

19 Likes