This analyst predicted the January 6 Trump coup riot

Right? We were all discussing all the details of the process of confirming a new administration, and how 45 and his minions would fuck with it, because of course they would.

11 Likes

If they don’t, then they fall outside the safe harbor rules, and Congress can actually reject them. (On Jan 6, only Wisconsin was outside of safe harbor.)

1 Like

As soon as he won Pennsylvania in 2016, I was nervously counting the seconds to the riots when he would leave office.

This is fascism, it’s a completely different ballgame. Only a Beltway insider doesn’t get that.

12 Likes

What if Trump loses but refuses to go? Alarming interview with a law professor

Kurt Eichenwald's Twitter thread about how Trump could cancel the election is keeping people up at night

6 Likes

well, to the extent he doesn’t plan anything.

but, i could absolutely see him poking and prodding those around him to do so. “we’re going to need a lot of people out there.” or “they should march right down to nancy and force her to throw out those ballots” etc

apparently he almost never gives direct “orders” anyway. most narcissists don’t. they push people to act by a fear of tantrums or a loss of access and favor

for him though, from his perspective, his actions amount to a plan. ( a genius plan. brilliant. nobody makes better plans. )

6 Likes

It’s the colonels that are where the coup starts. They are eager to climb the greasy pole to run the whole show.

6 Likes

The Nazis actually didn’t do that great in elections. Elections that they hadn’t rigged themselves, anyway. In fact in the last proper election of the Weimar republic, the NSDAP received fewer votes than in the one before.

Remember that (unlike Trump in 2016) Hitler wasn’t actually voted into power by the electorate, he was installed as Reich chancellor by Reich president Hindenburg after pressure from right-wing political operators and industrialists who – mistakenly, as it turned out – believed they’d be able to control Hitler afterwards. (Hindenburg himself was quite elderly at the time and didn’t have any time for Hitler, who he used to refer to as “that Bohemian corporal”, even though Hitler, while in fact a WW1 corporal, wasn’t actually from Bohemia – in that respect Hindenburg had him confused with somebody else.)

3 Likes

I have a phd in history, so I’m not sure I need a “history lesson” here. I’m well aware of basic facts about what happened in 1932.

Or more, rather LIKE Hitler, Trump has never won the popular vote and was only president because of our outdated, anti-democratic electoral college system.

The two, in fact, have far more in common than you seem to believe.

But I’m not going to debate HS history facts any longer. Have a good day.

12 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 3)

Whoops I put that in the wrong thread :frowning:

1 Like

That actually sounds eerily similar to 2016 in the States.

Remember, Hillary won the popular vote by over 3 million votes. It was the machinations of the right-wing that installed Trump, thanks to gerrymandering, voter intimidation, vote cancelling, and of course the Electoral College.

12 Likes

Coca Cola 70S GIF

(Totally OT: I had that red and white embroidered peasant shirt!)

9 Likes

Nah… it’s just fine. Not the same at all. /s

Frustrated Fuck My Life GIF

7 Likes

Well hey, as long as we’re off topic anyway … I’ve heard that song sang without the purpose of being a commercial (possibly the version by The New Seekers), but I also recall hearing it sung live and a Capella at a performance of Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind sometime in the late '90s. The actor for that skit talked a bit about the history and how the message in the song itself was a good one, improving a lot when you remove the product placement. He was right.

7 Likes

excited chicago GIF by Ethan Barnowsky

4 Likes

Even more off topic, imagine my surprise when I realized one of my occasional play partners was in the Neofuturists about a decade ago. I saw a newspaper article from The Reader on a wall in his apartment with a very familiar face in the accompanying picture. That was probably the closest I’ve come to fan gushing over anyone ever!

4 Likes

For those who are wondering what the heck we’re talking about:

7 Likes

Dsi1X7o

Maybe, but I know nothing about Bill Maher, except he’s a conservative bordering on fascist white man who pretends to be liberal to get laid.

5 Likes

To… get… laid?

Gentle reminder that… hmmm… how to say this. Plenty of fascists get laid regularly. Maher doesn’t even really pretend to be a liberal for that I’d say. People assume he is one mainly because he’s an avowed atheist and vocal about it putting him at odds with the Christian wing of the right.

And women are smarter than that and deserve more credit. Seriously. “he pretends to be a decent person to get laid” is kind of… idk backhandedly holding women responsible one way or another… but not everything is about getting women to sleep with you. And women aren’t the ones he’s mainly manipulating to be perfectly honest. He’s really unpopular with a lot of liberal and left women in general because he’s a really kind of a low key misogynist whose greatest act of feminism is being really super enthusiastic about abortion. Maher probably cares a lot more about his bank account and sponsorship deals for instance.

He is a softer-side fascist popular with pre-joe-rogan libertarians I think though.

Anyway I hope i said that right but everyone is yelling at me to come down and pay attention to them so I can’t try to do better.

Happy new year!

8 Likes