This bizarre shooting range has bullets flying across a major highway. On purpose.

The road looks a little twisty for that. Clearly, flat land is at a premium in Switzerland-- otherwise the rifle range would not be bisected by a motorway.

2 Likes

In hindsight, I think I do nuke my image quality on youtube because I mostly listen and trying not to clog up the VPN too badly. But even with it clear, my 3 semesters of German in HS fails me. But now it is clear enough I see it is in German, French, and Italian.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Oh! I didn’t understand correctly the leftmost circle for SIG 550. It must mean that the bipod must be folded.

3 Likes

In the United States, knowing there would be an incident every damn week, no insurance company would give liability insurance to this business, and it would never be able to start up much less shut down.

This is demonstrably false, see my comments above

3 Likes

300m is a loooong distance range. You would be extremely hard pressed to get a round into traffic even if you tried.

The Swiss, it seems, understand ballistics.

3 Likes

The one public shooting range here on Oahu is in the middle of the (dormant) Koko Head crater; shooters stand in the center and aim for the crater walls. There have been incidents where the bullets went over the walls and into nearby residential neighborhoods. They made some changes 6 or 7 years ago which seem to have reduced the number of incidents.

A high-powered rifle can shoot 2 miles, so having a range set well back from a road is not always a solution.

1 Like

It is, for most ranges, although lots of competitions are for much longer ranges and lots of shooters enjoy the challenge of really long distance shooting also. Every US Marine learns to shoot out to 500 yards with an M16. Until fairly recently I believe they did this with iron sights only (no scopes or other optics). Hitting a human sized target at 500 yards without a scope is not easy, but it’s doable.

I don’t know of anywhere around here, except for private land (or a military base), where it would be possible to shoot that that range. I’ve only done it on private property. It used to be somewhat common to have “silhouette competitions” (where you’re trying to knock over steel targets) at ranges of up to 500 meters but I haven’t seen any around here in a while - most local stuff uses .22 rifles and distances up to 100 meters because it’s easier/more convenient, and due to the ballistic characteristics of .22 rounds, has a similar challenge.

2 Likes

This could prove an interesting variation on the 11 foot 8 bridge…

6 Likes

“If you hit this sign, you will hit those bullets.”

5 Likes

Swiss is multilingual, the three lines say the same in German, French, Italian (top down)

In essence it says:
“Safety measures for weapons on the 300meter range.”

(First word is hard to recognize could be “Safety indicator” or “Safety procedure” as well)

And it circles stuff like open bolt positions, empty mag wells, visible saftey indicators/levers…

So basically how you have to store and carry your gun any time you are not actually shooting.

2 Likes

Can’t they just lower the road?

10 Likes

3 Likes

Please afford an ex-artilleryman the opportunity to remark that a 300 m range isn’t long - it’s cute.

12 Likes

It’s interesting but I can’t help but think drivers will be freaked the fuck out by the supersonic crack of bullets going overhead.

1 Like

Or raise the range?

5 Likes

Note to gun enthusiasts: If America’s view of guns were closer to that of the Swiss- with lots and lots of training and emphasis on safety and acceptable use- those of us who argue for gun control would feel a LOT safer and wouldn’t complain nearly as much as we do now.

It’s a bit of a shame that, now that the NRA has been much been exposed for what it is, there hasn’t been a new contender for a gun association that heavily emphasized gun safety and training. We may not be able to change the attitudes of the current generation of gun idiots, but it would be great to instill better values in the next generation of gun owners.

6 Likes

It depend what you are throwing down range. 300m is really long for .22lr. It is medium range for 5.56mm, and probably still on the short side for 7.62mm.

Artillery? Can they even shoot that short of distance, or would you shoot at a very high angle to come down 300m away? Oh man, now I want to play Scorched Earth.

It may surprise you to learn that is the general attitude of most shooters, especially at a range. There are different types of ranges, from very structured public ones like the one in the post, to private ranges, to open public ranges, to indoor ranges. Yes, you can find many anecdotal stories of people being generally unsafe, youtube is full of them. But I contend it is little different than the one asshole in a Dodge Charger running through traffic aggressively. Most people on the road are following the rules of the road. Or the idiot doing something with a skate board doomed to fail. The statistics don’t bear out that safety isn’t the general attitude.

At any rate, the reason people in general want more gun control has little to do with safety. Suicides and homicides make up the most and second most deaths respectively. Accidents are very rare, and even rarer at a range. The reason the Swiss don’t have to contend with high crime and homicide rates has way more to do with being one of the richest nations on earth and having a robust healthcare system probably also helps their much lower suicide rate. (the less poverty helps as well).

4 Likes

It needs a waterfall curtain. Both for the range and the road. :wink:

5 Likes

The actual data completely refutes these talking points. Demographic controls for the US have way, way fewer firearm fatalities per capita. The only indicator for increased gun deaths here is more guns.

5 Likes