This "bulletproof" hoodie comes with a lifetime warranty

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/22/this-bulletproof-hoodie-co.html

1 Like

does bulletproof = tear / wear resistant? iirc withstanding a bullet ≠ withstanding less extreme forces

1 Like

For white people only.

5 Likes

What good is a lifetime warranty after you’re shot dead?

10 Likes

I’m not understanding something here. If you’re wearing the hoodie, with the hood up, and someone shoots you in the back of the head, does the hoodie stop the bullet? What happens to the force of the moving bullet? Isn’t it transferred to your head hard enough to kill you, even if the bullet itself doesn’t go through the fabric?

4 Likes

If I were to wear the same 2 kg hoodie everday everywhere in south Texas heat, the smell alone would keep any potential shooters far enough away for me to not have to fear being shot with a handgun. So, I think it would be very effective

6 Likes

I dunno - if I had the money for a bulletproof every day wear, I think I’d go with this Colombian company who has had a lot of experience in the market.

https://miguelcaballero.com/en/home/

But per the post, the likelihood of me needing one (and the expense) means I won’t be getting one.

Probably, but it may damage the skull enough to still kill you. Even with the traditional vests you can some times get broken ribs and will get huge bruises. The Kevlar fibers just shouldn’t allow the bullet to pass through. You can find a lot of videos online of people shooting each other to “test” vests, and even more where they put it on a dummy or ballistics gel.

But, I mean, the chances of you randomly getting shot in the back of the head is even rarer than getting shot somewhere else. It’s not like you’re a mobster.

1 Like

Somehow, after 400 literal years of systemic terror, subjugation, exploitation, and marginalization, I don’t think a fucking overpriced hoodie is going to help.

10 Likes

Well, being black and wearing a hoodie might help you get shot…

8 Likes

“Fixed” that to be more accurate, albeit depressing a/f.

11 Likes

Roger That!

3 Likes

A"Lifetime Guarantee" for a bulletproof garment IMMEDIATELY sounds like a scam.

6 Likes

Whose lifetime?

3 Likes

Say what? If you’re an astronaut you’re more likely to die in a spaceship incident than a mass shooting. For anyone else the numbers aren’t even close.

7 Likes

It smells like a scam and it smells like part of an arms race.

A lot of gun owners indulge in magical thinking about what these things could possibly protect them from. This has the same vibe.

I’ll take sensible gun legislation over personal armor protection any day.

1 Like

Like, could you stop posting information-free opinion pieces and either do a piece where you actually do research and provide information about bullet resistant clothing, if this company is a scam, or just drop it? How many times this month are you going to slag this company for the fun of it?

(You can protect against handguns with flexible armor. Rifles take hard steel or ceramic plates. 90%+ of gun homicides in the USA are done with pistols. Seems like a good compromise to me.)

FWIW, I actually submitted this post before that other one was published; sometimes, things go live in a different order.

But sure, yes, I will link to the larger piece I’m working on about the scam of mass-consumer bulletproof clothing once I am done with all of the hands-on testing and product comparisons.

4 Likes

Could always try not shooting people, see how that works out.

8 Likes

I await the larger article with great interest; that sounds like a great article and one that will help me make some decisions that I hate even thinking about.

(I greatly prefer the concept of wearing functional body armor than having an offensive weapon. And walking to my car in a good neighborhood that has had a surprising amount of gun violence is making me feel less secure, particularly when I am the last out and the sun set 4 hours ago…)

1 Like

It might be useful at staff meeting.

3 Likes