This extraordinarily talented French horn player has no arms and uses his toes instead

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/12/07/this-extraordinarily-talented-french-horn-player-has-no-arms-and-uses-his-toes-instead.html

5 Likes

The French horn in the early morning, it’s just a great way to start the day.

3 Likes

I took a masterclass with Walter Chesnut, a trumpet teacher at UMass a few decades ago. He had lost the full use of his hands due to a back injury, and some students at the University came up with a unique way for him to be able to perform by engineering a mechanical solution.

3 Likes

Not to make light of this man’s amazing talent, but am I the only one who immediately thought of that E.B. White book The Trumpet of the Swan?

The mute swan protagonist learning to play a trumpet with his feet was a major part of the story.

2 Likes

Where there’s a will there’s a way

1 Like
1 Like

He’s shown using only the left foot, but I understood that part of the technique for the horn is to modulate the sound with a hand in the bell. Did I misunderstand something?

2 Likes

He uses his right foot as a mute.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.