This fellow figured out how to get free hamburgers at McDonalds

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/08/this-fellow-figured-out-how-to.html

13 Likes

You have to pro-rate your ingredients based on total item cost and/or provide a minimum item cost. Missed those use case tests.

17 Likes

The whole is less than the sum of its parts.

22 Likes

McD’s should pay their bug bounties in hamburgers.

23 Likes

And yet, he’s still paying too much.

46 Likes

26 Likes

It’s neat and all but now you have 10 burgers you probably don’t want to eat.

8 Likes

But what about conservation of mass?

9 Likes

Interesting exploit, but I think he’s still getting exactly his money’s worth :hamburger:

ETA: @Ratel said this more succinctly already :+1:

6 Likes

Not even burgers anymore, considering they’re meatless. Essentially he’s getting 10 onion and pickle sandwiches, plus ketchup and mustard; and a single burger.

17 Likes

In college we used to do something similar at Wendy’s (without a kiosk). We’d ask for a single with everything, no meat, and get a pretty hefty veggie sandwich for about $0.10

22 Likes

Even free poison is still poison.

11 Likes

Sandwich customization has long confused McD’s systems.

The app recently had a deal for “any* large sandwich for a dollar” while excluding some of the most expensive, like the double quarter pounder. But you could always order a single quarter pounder with the coupon and add an extra meat patty.

11 Likes

Well, I guess if you really wanted to irritate your vegan friend by treating them to some take-out… :smirk:

8 Likes

While slightly better than “Eww, food from White Castle/Taco Bell? Better plan for some diarrhea! LOL!” comments, this contributes just about equally to the conversation.

6 Likes

There’s always a relevant XKCD:

33 Likes

I’m glad you went with that rule, rather than 34…

(What is the “there’s an XKCD for it” rule number?)

5 Likes

He’ll throw away the 10 meatless sandwiches, and then eat the single burger that is left. I assume that’s what he wanted, a free burger.

4 Likes

When I was in college, we discovered that a nearby pizza place counted “extra thick” crust as a free topping you could get on one of their cheapo large pizzas… and they would also add more crust on request. So a typical order would be a quad-sized crust topped with tomato sauce and cheese with maybe some pepperoni, and we could eat tomatoey cheese bread for days for about five bucks.

11 Likes
14 Likes