This fellow lives inside a jet plane. It does not fly.

I actually got to check out the interior as part of a Weird Homes tour. I’m pretty sure you weren’t even allowed in the plane for the rave.

4 Likes

They’ve made about as much effort on the plane as they have on their website.

Both of which, frankly, look cold and uncomfortable.

6 Likes

Plane wreck. Stick to the topic.
(mixing yer metaphors, mutter, mutter).

Honestly, just joshing! Letting off steam after Xmas with me dad! Cheers!

5 Likes

I’d agree with most of your points about comfort and design except the insulation. Wouldn’t a passenger plane that flies in high frigid air with a pressurized cabin be pretty exceptionally insulated?

2 Likes

I mean, I’d have thought so*, but he talks about it being too cold, which, if you were building a similarly small house in a location like that, you could make it super-efficient in terms of heating and cooling.

*Although a plane is expected to be tightly packed with people on every passenger flight, which will quickly heat up the space, and running engines that will provide heat, so it might actually be deliberately a lot less insulated than it could be. Also, I don’t know what changes he’s made to the interior beyond what’s been removed, exposing the insulation. Those interior layers would provide some extra insulation.

What’s weird is that the interior has clearly been deconstructed quite a bit, leaving it a lot less hospitable than it would have been when he first got it. Maybe it’s in the process of some renovation, but I somehow suspect not…

2 Likes

Living in a structurally unsound plane wreck? Sign me up!

1 Like

All the airlines froze during the bomb cyclone; now that it’s warmed back up in most places, the others have recovered but Southwest has melted down.

2 Likes

With the winds the Portland area got last week, it’s a miracle it didn’t lift off! (100 mph at Crown Point in the Columbia River Gorge)

7 Likes

That’s what I’m thinking.

2 Likes

i feel this warrants an official no-prize :slightly_smiling_face:

As the No-Prize evolved, it was… given only when a reader explained why the continuity error was not an error at all.

2 Likes

4 Likes

There’s a lot of crankery there, too, like the “electric universe” spinoff he proposes.

No, gravity is not akin to electromagnetism.

2 Likes

Based on how he’s dressed, it looks really cold :cold_face:

4 Likes

That was my immediate thought also and I’m surprised it took this deep into the thread for someone to say it. Commercial airplanes are fucking miserable things and I don’t think you could pay me to live in one. Cramped, awkward, low head room, no flat surfaces, no way to add a bathroom or have a nice kitchen, etc. Awful. Also good luck finding a life partner willing to live that way.

I’m guessing it’s completely uninsured because no homeowners insurance is going to touch that. There’s also zero resale value so that $100k he dropped on it (which would buy you a nice house in a lot of small towns, or be an excellent down payment in small cities) is gone. Zero equity here.

ETA:

They really aren’t. You can find cutaways and construction photos online aplenty. There’s like an inch of spray foam in there. It’s pretty much nothing. Insulation adds weight so they focus more on actively heating it, which doesn’t take a lot of weight to do.

9 Likes

It reminds me of people who convert old buses to live out of.

Personally I’d rather have even a small, functional cabin over either.

2 Likes

i-sleep-in-a-racing-car-do-you

6 Likes

Don’t forget the $120k transport costs. That’s a lot of dough to live in an interesting but very uncomfortable looking home.
I’m all for repurposing stuff, and have lived in some pretty weird spaces myself, but I totally understand why his lady love doesn’t want to join him there.
Beautiful setting, zero coziness.

6 Likes

I’ve met the guy - an odd duck if there ever was one.

3 Likes

ezgif.com-add-text (2)

6 Likes

Yeah really sad it’s not him. Hiding out from Deadites?