This innovative pan makes for great food and minimal clean up

As a restaurant chef, this thing is, as we say, useless as tits on a boar hog.

12 Likes

Rhik Samadder reviewed this item in January.
As usual, he is sharp and criminally funny.

Kitchen gadgets review: the Master Pan – Tom Daley can’t be wrong

…The glory of Twitter is that if enough people grill a celebrity about cookware, eventually they have to respond. “It cooks everything at different heats, so it all finishes,” was Daley’s optimistic reply to the suggestion that cooking at different heats would give him a parasite infection. In my test, residual heat from cooking the sausages properly scrambled the eggs too quickly. Other problems included bean splash on my bacon. Frankly, the end product looks like a prison meal, waiting to be slid through a hatch. But damn it, I can’t look at Daley, his face like an angelic marmoset, and judge the pan poorly. …

6 Likes

not to mention every other store that is the same stack social store rebranded…oh the digg.com store is having the same deal and plugging the same video content even. i remember when both digg and bb were unique content and pushed unique goods.

That is a fair point, but i’d argue that once BB has burned through its credibility hawking stack social items, that the diminishing returns aren’t going to look so good. Now if they only ever recommended really high quality tested truly curated items i know a number of us would be regular repeat purchasers. I’d argue that the former is everything wrong with this crazy world, and the latter is actual quality and value that only builds and increased over time.

4 Likes

As terrible as the pan may be it makes me crave a good breakfast almost as much as Julian Barnes’s breakfast in Heaven, from A History Of The World in 10 and 1/2 Chapters.

Of course I knew what would be underneath. Three slices of grilled streaky bacon with the gristle and rind removed, the crispy fat all glowing like a bonfire. Two eggs, fried, the yolk looking milky because the fat had been properly spooned over it in the cooking, and the outer edges of the white trailing off into filigree gold braid. A grilled tomato I can only describe in terms of what it wasn’t. It wasn’t a collapsing cup of stalk, pips, fibre and red water, it was something compact, sliceable, cooked equally all the way through and tasting – yes, this is the thing I remember ­tasting of tomato. The sausage: again, not a tube of lukewarm horsemeat stuffed into a French letter, but dark umber and succulent … a … a sausage, that’s the only word for it. All the others, the ones I’d thought I’d enjoyed in my previous life, were merely practising to be like this; they’d been auditioning and they wouldn’t get the part, either. There was a little crescent-shaped side-plate with a crescent-shaped silver lid. I raised it: yes, there were my bacon rinds, separately grilled, waiting to be nibbled.

2 Likes

Anyone else notice that “All Sales Are Final” bit? That’s a great indication of quality and customer service.
"Sorry it’s crap sir but we clearly stated that all sales are final on the website"
BTW, you can get a nice Lodge griddle for half the price and if you want a really big griddle Camp Chef and Bayou Classic both have large griddles for about the same price and this thing.

5 Likes

I’m just here to make popcorn in this pan, one kernel per compartment

8 Likes

"your food won’t be full of toxins."
Unless that food is meat and eggs, which cause cardiovascular diseases, the no.1 cause of death in your coutry.

That makes as much sense as using a BPA-free spoon when you stir some polonium-210 in your coffee.

2 Likes

Am disapoint that nobody caught the components of English Breakfast.

This pan lets you do all the cooking in paralell.

2 Likes

But meat and eggs aren’t toxins, either. ‘Toxin’ is not a catch-all term meaning “anything poisonous or potentially unhealthy,” and if you think it is, you need a better dictionary and/or less food-babe-class fear-mongering.

Toxins are poisons produced by biological organisms. Lead and heavy metals are poisons, but they aren’t toxins - and are highly unlikely to occur in modern cookware of any kind.

PFOA is a suspected carcinogen, but, again, not a toxin. Most exposure is to workers at plants that use the chemical, and nearby residents whose groundwater may be contaminated by the chemical. Cookware is not a significant source - PFOA is a solvent that is almost entirely burned off/evaporated during production. Finished ‘teflon’ products do not leach PFOA.

So, the pan doesn’t contain (a few particular) poisons or suspected carcinogens that no other pan would contain, either. What this has to to do with “toxins in your food” is… unclear.

But there are toxins in your broccoli and in your potato skins and your chiles and your garlic. Nature put them there to deter predators. So your food may be all full o’ toxins anyway, even if your pans are PFOA-free. (-:

9 Likes

It’s also nice when your ads are at least honestly ads, instead of trying to trick people into thinking they’re Boing Boing reviews.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.