This is a Crazy-Ass Local City Council Meeting Rant of Supreme Excellence

I’ve read/heard over and over how many people fear public speaking more than anything else – I’m not sure that’s true, it’s just something I keep coming across. But part of me wonders whether this was severe glossophobia and it was the best she could do.

I love public speaking, but not being seen or visually scrutinized. So I often find my way to PA systems and other hidden microphones in buildings and on transit. It’s the best of both worlds!

6 Likes

To be fair, in the title and by the rules of grammar, Crazy-Ass is an adjective referring to the rant. The speaker is not even present as a subject in the phrase, although there is a bit of a problem with stacked nouns with which to contend.

That said, I can easily see the video itself as containing more than a bit of a hint of mockery towards the speaker, but I’d hesitate to say if that was the intent. As has already been alluded to, perhaps presenting this as an example of “public speaking can be difficult” would be better. If nothing else, that would reduce at least some of the “look at this crazy person” aspect.

I love public speaking. I find it much, much harder with three people than with thirty. And if I suspect it may be… How to say… A secret public statement I get even more excited. Similar I think to hidden microphones.

This particular performance could have used more context though. I agree that her anger is greatly founded, and this clip is not in context. And she doesn’t sound irrational, just deeply frustrated. But even given that, I personally wouldn’t have used so many props.

I hope she wins.

5 Likes

We’re still calling people “dumb” to make fun of the, since we all know that people-who-can’t-speak are stupid, so why not?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.