That’s really depressing. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

8 Likes

:thread: :thread:

ETA:

or archive.ph

20 Likes
15 Likes

Patients wrongly told they’ve got cancer in SMS snafu

Askern Medical Practice, a general practitioner surgery based in Doncaster, UK, managed to muddle its Christmas holiday message to patients by texting them they’d been diagnosed with “aggressive lung cancer with metastases.”

The message went out to patients of the medical facility – there are reportedly about 8,000 of them – on December 23, 2022. It asked patients to fill out a DS1500 form, which is used to help terminal patients expedite access to benefits because they may not have time for the usual bureaucratic delay.

[…]

6 Likes
11 Likes

… The museum’s Cambodian connection began with Douglas Latchford, the now-notorious English expatriate dealer who paid impoverished rural Cambodians to detach sections of in-situ sculptures for him to export and sell. Looters in his service told of payments that changed their lives. Latchford died in 2020 while under US indictment for fraud, smuggling and other crimes.

Latchford found a friend in Emma Bunker, who died in 2021, aged 90. Bunker wrote on Chinese and central Asian art, collaborating on three books with Latchford and travelling to sites in Cambodia and Thailand. Works in those books with bogus provenances brought high prices when Latchford sold them. Bunker was thanked publicly by trusting officials in Phnom Penh for her work on behalf of Cambodian culture. Researchers in Cambodia and Thailand now use the books to trace missing objects.

Latchford and Bunker’s provenances were also questioned by former looters who recalled pillaging sites as Khmer Rouge child soldiers and spoke of being paid by Latchford for objects. …

11 Likes

More specifically: all the top guys getting exactly the same education from exactly the same university.

18 Likes
12 Likes

Angry Star Trek GIF

12 Likes

This is fine bad.

16 Likes

“It helped me understand the perception of one’s art. Like, it might have been just a comic I had to dash off because I had a self-made schedule for my webcomic at the time. But, you know, people take what they want out of your art — without your permission half the time,” Green told As It Happens host Nil Köksal.

“Art is open to interpretation, and that is just something I would have to live with — and I’m fine with.”

16 Likes
10 Likes

John Cusack Film GIF

8 Likes

I’m confused how any of the people quoted there can function in daily life. With some of them, I wonder how they remember to keep breathing.

4 Likes

Something that makes me wonder if we’re doomed is that, now that the dust has settled at Twitter and we’re no longer making fun again of Musk, not all that many people have left and/or stopped linking tweets. It may go right back to being the de facto platform for normal usage, despite its fascist, Parleresque leanings.

It’s like Spotify. Did the boycott over Rogan’s platforming really make much of a dent in that company’s market dominance? It’s like in both cases, horrible things happened, some people reacted, but the owners didn’t have to wait long at all for our distractable brains to move on.

17 Likes

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

9 Likes

Just another daily reminded that corporations / people acting in bad faith is… bad’n stuff.

<head-desk.gif>

10 Likes

Caution Doom Scroll

12 Likes
18 Likes

I hope they pulled the plug on that supercomputer!
The next one might not describe its detailed plans in advance.

10 Likes