This is Radiohead's new song/video, "Burn the Witch"

So apparently the animation is a deliberate reference to the British show Trumpton, and given Radiohead’s fondness for political references, it’s not too hard to guess the commentary here.

I like to think they’re partially inspired by the UKIP Trumpton row. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/11277102/Ukip-fail-to-see-funny-side-of-Trumpton-Twitter-account.html

Wait, so who is supposed to be familiar with “Space Patrol,” because I sure am not…

Ha ha ha! (I’m assuming you actually have watched the last episode and are making a joke because it was so damn depressing. Although watching the depressing end to Ashes to Ashes where the cosmology was made clearer just made it all even more depressing… But yes, up until that last episode it was pretty great.)

I don’t know if they showed the whole series on BBC America (being annoyed with the US censorship of those series, I was watching via bittorrent), but…

I have not. I do not want the series to be over yet.

Yeah, looks like it ran back in 2009. I don’t watch too much on BBC-A any more, and would rather torrent the stuff I like. Recent favs: Mr Selfridge, Catastrophe, Episodes, Houdini & Doyle, Humans, Lucky Man, and The Graham Norton Show. And X Company and Schitt’s Creek from the Great White North.

Some of these are available in the US, but usually weeks or months later, and often edited for time and/or content.

Oh, er. I mean the last episode was all fluffy bunnies and living happily ever after. Yup.

Yeah, I got pretty sick of what were sometimes multi-year waits for BBCA to get shows, and when they did they were cut down to fit in commercials and censored for content. I wondered why the hell I was paying for cable just so I could watch the shows they were broadcasting via bittorrent - so I stopped getting cable (Star Trek and X-File re-runs on BBCA was the last straw). My local PBS stations get a fair number of things and Netflix has gotten pretty good about getting the rights to a fair number of British shows - and far more quickly than BBCA used to - but there still seem to be shows that simply don’t get released in the US anywhere.

Please don’t mention that dreadful Nicolas Cage monstrosity. No the proper Wicker Man is a British movie from the 70s with Christopher Lee and Edward Woodward.

6 Likes

Thus perish all rich spectators! .

1 Like

It was. I saw first two episodes and missed the rest when it was aired on BBC America. I’m very bummed, to say the least. I have begged the BBC to sell a DVD regional version, but they have better things to do. And I refuse to purchase a multi-region player for one series. Grrr.

There were a couple that really burned me. BBCA delayed The Graham Norton Show a full nine days, which meant that the shows the guests were there to promote, had already come and gone before we even knew about them. And they edited it pretty badly. In the UK, they almost never bleep anything out on that show. They used to delay Doctor Who, but finally figured out what a whopping bad idea that was. And maybe even worse than BBCA, is PBS and their slicing, dicing, and delaying of Downton Abbey. I’m not sure which is the bigger sin - cutting up and re-editing the episodes to fit the 1-hour format, or delaying the shows so that the Christmas specials are broadcast in June.

There are freeware DVD players for computers that will ignore the country encoding. Just sayin’…

PSST VLC. It plays all my Asian region DVDs with no problems.

It has become customary on the tubes to feign ignorance of the original and refer only to ‘the bees’ when one makes mention of The Wicker Man and as far as I can tell with nary a chuckle, a guffaw or a chortle to be had in the process.

Thank you and @art_carnage for recommendations. I will check them out as possible no to low-cost alternatives.

From what I understand, the ending to A2A is as important to that series as it is to LOM.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.