This is the Rogue One trailer you're looking for

The Chimera survived the death of Thrawn, and became the flagship of the Imperial Remnant under Admiral Pellaeon. Both Katarn and Horn became members of the New Jedi Order and were still alive during the Yuuzan Vong war. The ship was lost during the war, but recovered by Admiral Daala after the war, who made it her flagship.

OK?

Hey, y’know who originally came up with Star Wars?

Hey, y’know who wrote the prequels?

It’s a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker
dies, that’s kind of the end of the story. There is no story about Luke
Skywalker, I mean apart from the books. But there’s three worlds:
There’s my world that I made up, there’s the licensing world that’s the
books, the comics, all that kind of stuff, the games, which is their
world, and then there’s the fans’ world, which is also very rich in
imagination, but they don’t always mesh. All I’m in charge of is my
world. I can’t be in charge of those other people’s world, because I
can’t keep up with it. --George Lucas

At times he borrowed from the EU, and at times he worked with EU authors, but in his era, Star Wars was his baby, and there were licensed books that sometimes meshed with his world. People want to overcomplicate it. If you like it or don’t like it, that’s on you, but it seems a little silly to say that George Lucas was wrong to not constrain himself to what Timothy Zahn wrote about the Clone Wars.

Maybe if you’re determined to be offended. “Rogue” is basically just a synonym of “scoundrel”, continuing the tradition that the Star Wars universe isn’t necessarily about the elite. Han’s a criminal, for Pete’s sake. And besides, Rogue Squadron is in the movies, it’s just that they’re still Red Squadron at that point.

Yep, they’re the same character. I’ve been following it thanks to a podcast I listen to semi-regularly. Series producer Dave Filoni had been spotted on set, and they confirmed that Saw Guererra is the same character that was on Clone Wars.

2 Likes

For a lot of people what you describe is a really positive thing. We have been living with the same characters for almost 40 years. What is exciting about Rogue One is that it is different, new, and possibly even opens the door for stories that are outside the major story arc completely.

Rogue One is new canon, tied directly to Clone Wars, and possibly Rebels, another excellent example of the direction things have been taken. We are seeing more of the galaxy, outside the same boring 10 characters over and over and over. That’s a really good thing.

Hopefully soon we can have stories that aren’t directly about the Empire and Rebellion at all. This universe is rich with possibilities. 25,000 years of interstellar travel. What most people think of is only 60 years or so of that. The Hutts and the underworld, hundreds of known worlds and species and millions yet to be defined. Why should Star Wars be limited to one or two generations at a single point in history?

3 Likes

That is something silly to say.

Let’s see what I actually said.

1 Like

Wait a second, I don’t really know the EU. Who’s Pete?
Does he also owe Jabba money? Is he Han and Leia’s second son?
(“Let’s call the first one… KYLO! And the second… PETE!”)

3 Likes

Rogue squadron still exists, its in the original movies. The EU stuff fleshing it out may not exists or exist in the same manner.

As Mal_Tosevite pointed out, I don’t think this is an attempt to replace Rogue Squadron, it just shares a similar name (though perhaps it is the birth, who knows.)

As for the EU etc, I never got TOO deep into the EU. I have many of the old Marvel Comics (which had some great and horrible stuff). I was totally into the Dark Horse comics and the West End games (which had a TON of awesome then-cannon details). I read the original Thrawn trilogy, the older novels, and some of the ones after Thrawn. After that I sort of was too busy or poor to consume the media.

But here is how I look it, especially with things like Rogue Squadron comics or other things that fleshed stuff out, but maybe didn’t have a huge direct effect on the universe - they’re Legends.

With any legend, you are going to get conflicting stories:
“I heard he took down 4 AT-ATs!”
“No, he took down 2, one with his light saber!”

So you can still enjoy some of the EU stuff and look at it as a good story or tale - which maybe later turns out to not be exactly true. In some cases where stuff is totally ignored, such as the Dark Empire comics (which were awesome, IMHO), you can look at it as an “Elseworlds” story. In an infinite multiverses, this story happened somewhere.

As Star Wars gets bigger and bigger, it will be IMPOSSIBLE to keep even the NEW cannon from conflicting. And some times that is ok, because later one might have a better story that needs to get rid of or alter a plot hole.

2 Likes

I started crying and I don’t even know why. I get emotional about Star Wars.

She’s currently playing Aunt Agatha in BBC’s Poldark:

5 Likes

I think it’s simpler if we look at it this way: SW EU and SW movies have now the same relationship that exists between Marvel comics and Marvel movies. The movies might use some of the comics material, or not; they can morph it, twist it, or just chuck it out altogether. More often than not, the comics will bend to changes coming from movies.

They simply live on two different planes of artistic expression, one much more popular than the other, and the most popular one always wins.

And, as I said, I’d understand the name better if the were showing some sort of torch-passing from old to new. Without that, the name rings hollow.

And I get that. I was really upset about Boba Fett’s retcon in Clones, to begin with, but with a legendary character like Fett, it only makes sense that he’d have multiple, conflicting, origin stories. Ditto with Anakin losing his right hand, which directly contradicted the Thrawn trilogy (which said that he lost it because of the Emperor’s anger at the destruction of the Death Star).

I am not upset about the little continuity details, because, let’s face it. If even one EU book made it from beginning to end without contradicting the details from something else in the EU, it was probably by sheer luck. And, as you say:

As I said, I’ve come to terms with them discarding the EU. It’s not a decision I agree with, but I can see why they made that decision.

If they want to bring something back - great! Picking and choosing the best bits of the EU is what I feel they should have done in the first place.

And coming up with new stories to tell: great! I would be the first to agree that the Star Wars universe is an excellent place to tell stories in.

But “Rogue” in Star Wars has a specific meaning. And I would have preferred that they titled their “Death Star plan retrieval mission” story, literally, anything else.

1 Like

well, if this is the period between the last prequel and the first movie, then the jedi have been almost erased from existence, reduced to basically bedtime stories for children and myth. so it would make sense.

1 Like

…and all of a sudden I´m 8 years old again.

3 Likes

Really? Gold One? Jedi One? Scoundrel One? Bantha Tracks? Attack of the Mynocks? Who Moved My Plans: A Star Wars Story?

“I dunno, I can imagine quite a bit.”

In the movies, “Rogue Group” were Luke’s snowspeeder squadron in the Battle of Hoth, and nothing else. The EU applied that name to a squadron of misfits and screwballs who became the terrors of the South Pacif… oops, that was Black Sheep Squadron. Anyway, it was an extension of the remains of Red Squadron after the Battle of Yavin (adopting that name once again for the Battle of Endor), and even though the EU continued their adventures for a bunch of really great books, there’s no reason the Rogue name couldn’t or shouldn’t have been applied for this particular stealth mission, since the name (as far as we know) hadn’t been in use at all before the Battle of Hoth, three years or more later than Rogue One. I don’t care if they bother to connect the mission’s codename to the later squadron name or not. No skin off my lekku.

Personally, I would have preferred that the first Star Wars movie had been subtitled as anything but A New Hope, but look at where all that preferring has gotten me these last 36 years.

Canonicity arguments tickle me no end. I sigh and remind us all that a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, none of this shit actually happened.

7 Likes

So like life?

4 Likes

Another thing I get a kick out of are the longterm fans who got upset about TFA being another Death Star movie.

So, yeah, the EU. I lost track of a lot of the EU, but I’m thinking of the incomplete Death Star in the Maw, Centerpoint Station, the Star Forge (which seems to be a prototype for Starkiller Base), the World Devastator, the Galaxy Gun, the Yuzzhan Vong used a genetically engineered creature that could generate an artificial gravity field to bring a moon down on a planet, and then there’s the Sun Crusher, which was a small ship that could blow up a star. And that’s just the major superweapons. But that J. J. Abrams, though, committing yet another superweapon to film was just too far, man.

5 Likes

Or a bunch of teddy bears throwing rocks.

5 Likes

Who haven’t all met each other before, much less all each other’s relatives or creators? I know, right?

:point_up_2: So much this.

1 Like

Don’t forget the Darksaber.

Actually, that particular book was pretty horrible. You can forget that one.

3 Likes

I wasn’t so much upset as disappointed. The whole attack on that superweapon space station thingy (that was so forgettable I can’t even remember its name after seeing the movie five times) was so perfunctory… it was treated for some misguided reason as being as obligatory as all the “shaken not stirred” moments in old James Bond movies.

My hope is that we’ve moved far enough beyond that shit in Rogue One that we can enjoy a new story with new moving parts, and that the oversized superweapon and the one-handed Skywalker can stay in the background. It’s a somewhat forlorn hope now that we’re seeing increased amounts of Vader in the trailers, but I’ll cling to it since the rest of it looks swell.

Literal sticks and stones, man. You’d think the First Order would have learned both of the big lessons from the fall of the Empire:

1. No more enormous planet-sized budget-busting superweapons that can be taken down by a scrappy smuggler and a desert-born Force-sensitive.

2. No more PVC armor.

4 Likes

It’s ABS plastic. Though in the universe it is supposed to be plastoid.

3 Likes

Say, you’re someone who might know, at least when it comes to ballistic weaponry. Would ABS make for better/stronger/more durable armor than PVC? No doubt bullets vs laser bolts would behave differently. But I’m just wondering if stormtroopers couldn’t upgrade their armor with some well-placed chunks of irrigation pipe.

1 Like

Or really well polished mirrors?

I’m sure somebody will be along explain to me why laser bolts aren’t like light, though.

2 Likes