This is the trailer you are looking for... Star Wars: The Last Jedi

I remember seeing that and thinking “no way our parents will let us watch this, looks too violent”. Then dad comes back from a business trip and is all “KIDS YOU’VE GOTTA SEE THIS AMAZING MOVIE BEST EVAR”.

1 Like

When it hit HBO for the first summer in syndication, my brothers watched it almost every single day.

2 Likes

I’m going to be that guy.

What is it with the fucking over-the-top reverb in the whole damn

Movie..... Trailer...... Domainnnnnn..........? 

It’s like the ridiculous echo in monster struck commercials on the radio.

If the reverb were removed from this, I think people would see

just..... how...... SILLY........ it.... alll.......is,is,is,is

(oops, sorry, hit the echo on that last one).

Maybe if Porgs do this then they MIGHT be cool…
wtfguin

2 Likes

There’s really no use trying to fight the Porg.

Resistance is Cutile.

1 Like

This movie is 8 of 9. People tend to prefer 7 of 9, right?

4 Likes

I have family members who were ages 14-27 at the time and distinctly remember things that were only added or tweaked in later releases.

I know some one who swears to high holy god it premiered in December. And argued the new release dates were a return to tradition.

And here’s the thing. It did. Where he lived.

That movie seems to have had a uniquely weird. Staged release. There were multiple regular re-releases. A couple different versions. Extended theater stays. And the system of repatory and drive in theaters at the time seems to have kept at least one of The Star Wars running, somewhere until pretty late in the 80s

So what I’ve found is that when people who were alive for it. And old enough to be cognizant. And definitely saw the main release. And when they try to remember details of the first time they saw it? Often enough those details reveal something that had to be from a later release.

It was out there enough and long enough. And everyone saw it so often that a lot of it tends to blend together.

It’s far more confused the closer you get to my age. For us Star Wars was sort of just always persistently there. Like I said I saw Jedi before I was old enough to walk with any sort of pinache. And the VHS release was pervasive by the time I was old enough to operate one. I can’t recall anything about the first time I saw any of them. I just remember seeing them all in sequence constantly as a child.

Is it just me or is the music soundtrack disproportionately louder than script? Icould barely make out what were they saying.

Im thinking its edited to be all super spolier but none of the potential bad moments we see are actually together.

1 Like

That’s a common sound mixing issue with flicks these days. Sort of the same way music is often mixed to make it seem “louder” by compressing the wave form upwards. Many films, and often trailers seem to be mixed so the sound track and sound effects are much louder than necessary to make them more exciting/impressive. Its terrible.

That said if the digitizing of video with even well mixed sound isn’t handled right. It can end up sounding that way anyway. Theatrical mix is done for very loud, complex speaker systems. You just swap that onto a format for home viewing. Or dump it as a streaming clip with limit audio capabilities. It tends not to sound very good. And even if they did it right I’ve found what you’re listening to it on can cause this too. The basic small speakers embedded in many flat screen TVs these days seem to come off that way. Some head phones I’ve used (the cheaper quality ones). Or headphones plugged into the cheap, not very good front panel audio jack on my gaming PC, regardless of how good they are.

So. Yes. It does sound that way. But we don’t know why, and its probably just a factor of the trailer or the way your watching this.

It sounded surprisingly good on my phone earlier. At the big boy computer with my schmancy head cans its definitely got the too quite vocals problem. If I had to guess they mixed the thing to sound best on mobile.

Watching these movies at home without a normalizing filter is awful, if you have the sound low enough to not blow you out of your seat and wake the neighbors, you can’t hear the dialog. Fortunately I watch on an HTPC so I can normalize it.

Like I said it depends on what you’re getting the sound out of. Headphones plugged into your PC for Netflix? You are probably boned unless they’re decent headphones and your soundcard/software offers some decent filters or equalizer options. TV? If you’ve got decent media speakers hooked up and set up right you’re probably fine. For watching at high volume with a bunch of people. Trying to keep it quieter? You have some tweaking to do. And your sound system if its any good will allow that. Most people don’t realize their TV, or even cable box will let them do that. Built in TV speakers? All the ones I’ve seen lately suck balls even with good audio and tweaking.

Honestly a lot of the time it might not even be the movie’s fault. If the people I know who had media hosted there are to be believed, Netflix’s encoding created this problem for a long time. Questionably acquired downloads frequently have this, and other audio issues. Even where the official materials they’re created from don’t. I suspect the people encoding them use bad audio settings to keep the file size or export time down.

Or user error. A lot of people don’t realize that their TVs and audio set ups are full of presets and setting options. All of which come out of the box in demo or “movie” modes which fuck everything up. Stretched pictures, fucked contrast. Along with excessive base and really jacked up sound levels. All of that is intended to make the TVs and equipment more impressive when you walk by them in the store. They need to “pop” more than the item sitting next to them. But they suck suck suck for actually watching something through in a smaller room with human lighting.

I had this problem with everything for quite a while on my PC. And I blamed the source. Encoding. The movie business. And while that was often plenty true as well (the trend was much worse a few years back, and like I said Netflix had an issue with it). I was also getting it on stuff where I shouldn’t have. Reasonably sure the issue was the bone cheap mobo I was using with its finicky, not very good on board audio. When I built a new PC. And used a better, more expensive, mobo with a decent but still on board and pretty standard audio card. Well the problem largely went away.

But like I said. This one, I’m betting it was mixed to sound good/impressive on mobile. Its a short video hosted online for streaming. Most of that sort of thing is consumed on mobile these days.

I sure hope not. Then again, having watched all of Clone Wars (several times thanks to Kidd Jr.) and being up to date on Rebels, I couldn’t help detect some potential spoilers. Such as that lightsaber-y thing Finn was wielding. It looks suspiciously like the Darksaber with minor modifications to the hilt.

I think Finn was using one of those shock batons the “traitor!” trooper was using in Force Awakens.

I doubt they’d bring in the whole dark saber thing. It’s the sort of EUish type of thing that generally doesn’t get bumped up in a major way. Besides its pretty tied into some specific plots we have no indication of being involved.

yeah, i guess i’m lucky in a way – i was old enough to be super-conscious of it. i distinctly remember the first time i heard about it: my friend and neighbor across the street had an older brother who took him to see it opening weekend. he had no idea what they were seeing, but his brother was excited for it and told him he’d love it. i remember him trying to tell us about it the next day, and he was trying to describe how big the space ship (the star destroyer) was in the opening scene as it passed overhead. “it was bigger than this block – bigger than our entire NEIGHBORHOOD!” and i remember not believing him, and saying, “come on – NO WAY. it can’t be that big.”

i also have bone-deep memories of seeing it the first time in the theater, and the first handful of times after that. specifically, how STUNNED i was that Ben Kenobi died (he’s been my favorite since the moment i saw him), and also when the camera does that swoop thing and shows the POV of the x-wing pilots diving into the trench on the Death Star, it used to really give me a sense of motion sickness. no movie before that had ever done that to me. i think of those first time feelings every time i see the movie now.

at least now younger people can get a sense of how excruciating it was for us to wait 2-3 years between each movie for a new one to come out. : )

1 Like

That scene blew my mind as a kid. It seemed to go on FOREVER. I was thrilled and terrified.

To this day, I have a mild phobia of large objects hanging over my head. I refused to walk under the blue whale skeleton at the Boston Aquarium whenever my parents took us there.

2 Likes

You forget there was still a better than 20 year wait before the prequels. And the standard 2ish years between them. As ultimately awful as they were in the end. The fervor about those releases (for the first two at least) was much, much, much higher than it is right now.

So however soul destroying the end result. Pretty much all of us who were around for that shit show experienced excruciating waits (and excruciating films) at a hype level never seen before.

nah, i didn’t forget – aside from the first prequel, it doesn’t compare. even though we had to wait that long, we knew ultimately where the story was going to go with the prequels: it was all about the fall of Vader. NOW, there are new characters and worlds people care about and are invested in, and we don’t know where they are going to go or what’s going to happen to them – just like after the first movie.

I think the major difference is that the prequels quickly curdled into dread.

But as an example. My very small town’s one movie theater showed those on 4 of their (at the time) 6 screens. And we had a few hundred people camp out and line up for opening night. I graduated highschool with 80 people. And that theater has never had a line of more than 20 people for longer than 20 minutes before or since. It didn’t really make much sense at the time. And still doesn’t. But lots of people were incredibly excited.

From what people tell me the originals never opened out there during their initial run. People talk about driving an hour to see them. Something we still did for the prequels. Just to get to a better theater, or see it at midnight.

Of course the wait is easy when you can watch the previous entries literally whenever you want.

But for all that they didn’t have much staying power.

1 Like

I was ten back in 1977, and so my parents hesitated at the beginning because it was rated PG. It was a pretty violent movie with Kenobi’s sabre action in the cantina, the camera showing the severed limb. So it had been out for a month before our small town cinema showed it, and man, was I blown away! All of a sudden I was vacillating between Star Trek and Star Wars, my imagination was set ablaze. I also recall getting the novel and so that may be why sometimes I thought I remembered Luke first meeting Biggs in Anchorhead. But there were always rumors that the very first release had more of Luke at the beginning due to studio pressure, which Lucas cut out when he had the chance.